Chapter Ten: A Paladin of Mars

Captain Buck Willoughby stood on the bridge of the Hemingway as it shook and rattled around him. They'd taken heavy fire since entering the battle and the shredbot swarms had latched on, draining the Hemingway's shields for the energy they needed to tear the ship to pieces. Half his bridge crew were dead and most of the consoles were on fire, but those officers remaining continued to do their jobs as best they could with what was left.

His First Officer, Commander Aura Steele, looked up from a flickering console. "Shields at ten percent and dropping fast, Captain. Failure is imminent."

"Right." Willoughby said. "Intraship comms still working?"

She checked her screen. "Yes, sir. Patching you through." She tapped at the screen, having to perform the task more than once due to the damaged interface.

When she turned to him and nodded, Willoughby raised his voice and said, "All hands, this is the Captain. The ship is lost. Make for the nearest escape pods and abandon ship. I repeat: all hands abandon ship." He gestured for Steele to cut the feed, then said. "Put me through to Engineering."

A weary voice came over the comm. "Engineering."

There was less of a chaotic din than Willoughby would have expected, but Collins always did keep a tight engine room.

"Mr. Collins," Willoughby said. "Reroute all available power to the Pulse Cannon and transfer fire control to the bridge, then you and your crew get to the escape pods."

"Sir?"

"Quick as you can, Chief."

"Aye, sir."

Commander Steele monitored her screen. Moments crept by with agonizing slowness, and the ship continued to shudder and shake. He heard the bulkheads groan from the strain. Finally, the console chimed, its usual clear tone ragged with static. "Cannon at full power, sir," Steele said. "Fire control at your station. All crews, including Engineering, have reported in from their minimum safe distance. We're all that's left on the ship."

Buck Willoughby looked down at the console next to his command chair and saw that the firing sequence was primed and would launch the EMP with the press of a button. "Very good, Commander," he said. "Now," he raised his voice to be heard above the din of his ship coming apart, "everyone to the escape pods. I'll handle it from here." He grinned as the crew hesitated. "Your loyalty is touching, but that's an order."

The bridge crew hurried to the nearest pods, leaving the Captain and his First Officer alone.

"You too, Commander."

"Captain," she said hesitantly, "I..."

He smiled tenderly, keeping one eye on his console, and its display of the battle, while favoring her with a warm look. "It never would have worked between us, Aura, you know that."

Commander Steele blinked, stifled a laugh, straightened her shoulders and her features, and said, "No, sir. Gods no, sir. I just meant to say, I wouldn't have expected this level of selfless valor from such a..." she trailed off uncomfortably.

"I'm about to die, Commander. Permission to speak freely."

"Well, I wouldn't have expected it from such a callous boor, sir." She cleared her throat. "Respectfully."

He checked a sigh. "I think that will be all, Commander," he said. "To your escape pod, now. Double time."

"Yes, sir," she said. She paused at the door and spared him a backward glance. "Good luck, Captain."

"And you, Commander. Keep our crew safe."

"Yes, sir." She stepped off the bridge and the door slid shut behind her.