Chapter One

“Bye Wally.” I say and he starts to tear up as we hug. “Do you have to go?” I nod and pull back, this time tears start to well up in my eyes. “I can't stay social services will place me somewhere I can't see you guys anyways. Besides moms gone-” Tears start streaming down my face. “And L-Lily she's gone now too, what do I really have left Wally? I have nothing! I have nobody!” I cry, he wipes away my tears and I look up at him. “Not true, you have me, and uncle Joe, um...Iris! And then Barry-” I stop him. “Wally they'll take me away from you guys, love you and all but I have to go. I have to do this, so stop arguing with me okay?” He nods, the door opens I duck into the closet next to me. “Maddy I already know you're in here, you can't do this.” I step out and hoist my bag up more. “I can and I am Joe, love you guys but I have to go.” He walks up to me. “Here how about this, you stay the night here and decide in the morning?” I know what you're doing I'm not stupid, I nod. “Yeah fine, I'll stay on the floor in here if that's okay though.” He nods and we set up a little bed area on the floor, and a couple minutes after he leaves Wally speaks up. “You're not staying are you?” I shake my head. “Sorry Wally, I'll visit later on though. You know whenever they stop looking or after I turn eighteen-” I realize he's about to cry so I stop. “Here how about this, I'll write to you. I'll only be in the same place for a bit though, so I'll write how long I'll be there and when it's okay to send letters and such. Maybe I'll even be able to call!” He nods and I grab my bag.

He stands up and we hug, he rushes over to his closet then pulls something out handing me a red and blue box. I go to open it when he stops me. “Not till your birthday!” I groan and nods, he holds out his pinky. I chuckle and stick mine out, wrapping them around each others. “I pinky promise not to open it until my birthday Wally, good enough?” He nods and opens his window, I wave as I climb out and onto the roof. I walk over to the other side then hop down in the front, I run ignoring Joe's cries. I laugh at him as I run out into the night, dodging the beggars on the street and everything else around me.