Chapter 42

Emma's heart skipped a beat.

"Is it good or bad?" she asked in a whispered tone.

"It's news," Keith replied. "Is Regina there?"

"Yes, but can you tell me first?" Emma said. "We've had a rough half an hour with Imogen."

"I'm sorry," Keith replied. "But I have to speak with Regina before I can speak with you."

Emma sighed. "Ok, hang on."

She laid the phone on the side table and walked back into the kitchen where Regina was just picking up a plate piled high with Chinese food.

"Who was on the phone?" she asked as she turned to see Emma walking towards her.

"Detective Nottingham," Emma said.

The plate clattered to the floor, Chinese food splattering over the old flagstones as Regina wrapped both arms protectively around Imogen.

"What's happened?" she asked, her eyes wide with fear.

"I don't know," Emma admitted. "He said he had news but he has to tell you first. Do you want me to hold Immy whilst you talk to him? He's still on the line."

Regina nodded mutely and Emma reached out to take their child. Henry and Emma said nothing as they watched Regina move slowly from the room.

"Hello, Keith."

"Regina, hi. How are you doing?"

"I'm ok," Regina replied. "What's going on?"

"I just got a call from the warden at Belmarsh," Keith said. "Robin's dead."

Wordlessly, Regina sank onto the floor, her knees drawn up to her chest as she tried to process the news, a myriad of emotions scattering through her mind.

"Regina?" Keith said after a long silence.

"How?"

"Heart attack," Keith replied. "He collapsed in his cell and by the time anyone noticed it was too late. He was pronounced dead early this afternoon."

Regina said nothing, her whole body in shock as her brain whirred. Emma's feet appeared in her line of vision and the brunette raised her head, meeting the concerned green gaze above her. She wordlessly handed the receiver to Emma who took it at once.

"Keith, it's Emma. What's happened?"

"Robin died of a heart attack this afternoon," Keith relayed. "Is Regina ok?"

Emma too was stunned into silence for a moment but managed to respond. "Um, I'm not sure if ok is the right word but we'll be … yeah. Is there anything else or -,"

"No, no. Go and deal with what I've told you," Keith said. "Oh and congratulations on the baby."

"Thanks," Emma said shortly before she hung up and crouched down in front of Regina.

She didn't say anything, waiting instead until she could gauge Regina's reaction to what she had been told. After a long time, Regina pushed herself up and walked back into the kitchen where Henry was holding Imogen and picking at his rapidly cooling dinner.