Chapter 10

A/N: the truth comes out! All of it! Finally!

She opened her eyes slowly. Her vision was fuzzy but she could make out the outline of some furniture and a television. The dimly lit room was familiar but she couldn't place it. Frowning in confusion, she tried to sit up.

"Hey, hey, lie back down."

Gentle hands landed on her shoulders, coaxing her back against the soft cushions. She didn't have the strength in her to resist.

"Emma?"

"Yeah," the blonde said, her face swimming into view and slowly sharpening as she perched on the sofa beside Regina . "How are you feeling?"

"Where am I?" Regina asked, ignoring the question.

"My house," Emma replied. "I brought you back here after you fainted. When you came to in the car park, you said you didn't want to go to hospital and there was no way I was taking you back to Robin. You passed out again in the car. You've been asleep for about an hour."

"Thanks," Regina said, her hand rising to rub her throbbing forehead. She felt thoroughly confused. Usually she knows who she's meant to be. Robin's Regina, or the real Regina. Now however, she had seemingly collapsed as Robin's Regina; guard up, defences in place, submissive and in a constant state of fear. And yet she had woken in a safe haven, with a friend, with someone who she knew was worried about her and someone who suspected exactly what was going on behind the grand mansion door. Who was she supposed to be now? Regina realised she needed to find out more before deciding which persona to become.

"What happened to me?"

"You fainted," Emma repeated. "As for why, I guess you'll have to tell me." The blonde peered questioningly into the pale face before her.

"Can I have some water please?"

Much as she wanted to scold the woman for her blatant diversion tactics, Emma obediently picked up a glass of iced water and brought it to Regina's lips. She raised her head and sipped lightly, her throat protesting at the movement.

"I skipped dinner," Regina admitted after the glass had clinked back onto the placemat. It seemed the real Regina was beginning to come back to the foreground.

Emma stood up without a word and left the room. Frowning, Regina rolled onto her side and craned her neck towards the door. Seconds later, Emma retuned with a cereal bar which she unwrapped and thrust into Regina's hand. Sitting down once more, Emma stared pointedly between the food and Regina's face. Rolling her eyes, the brunette nibbled the corner and the younger woman seemed somewhat satisfied.

"Why did you skip dinner?" Emma asked. "You hardly ate any of that god awful chicken Eugenia served at lunch. I was starving all afternoon and I bet you were too."

Regina pushed herself into a sitting position, ignoring Emma's protests as she did so. A blanket fell around her waist, and Regina realised the blonde had clearly tried to make her as comfortable as possible whilst she was unconscious. The loss of the fabric suddenly made her feel exposed, vulnerable. What was she doing? Why was she here talking to Emma? She needed to leave right at that moment. Robin's Regina fought her way back into control.

"I need to get back home," Regina said, readying herself to stand. Her head still felt rather confused but she knew one thing for sure. "Robin will be wondering where I am. I told him I was going to get milk."