11- Yearly Tax Fee

Their fishing business, or more specifically called Starry Bay, has been growing more and becoming popular even more.

The business was so great that people began calling the two young people, "The Fishers of Stars." I also have no idea where that idea came from. Probably because Athanasia has bright golden yellow hair that shines so bright and Ijekiel's eyes were of golden hues that twinkle like the stars..... Or, that's what I think..... Or am I the only one?

But anyways, their income was much larger than they had anticipated that Athanasia and Ijekiel had a hard time deciding what to do with the rest of the income. They all thought of giving it to the poor or charity, but they have to be either an official citizen of Arlanta which would take five years or would need to marry someone who was born in Arlanta or would need to get the royal family's approval of citizenship. So donating it to the charity was out of the questions.

And so, their safe was so full of money that they're worried that it will be the reason the mansion would collapse.

Now, Athanasia and Ijekiel were hanging out with the Falyns after a week of work. Ijekiel was talking with Alpha in private while Athanasia was playing with the Falyns.

After a while, they decided to call it a night. As they were working on the path to the mansion, Athanasia looked around, "Say, Ije.." She called, "Hm?" Hummed Ijekiel. "While walking around in the village the other day, I heard that the people were having trouble paying taxes for the yearly fee for every village.." Ijekiel nodded, "Oh. It's that time of the year. Arlanta has a unique way for paying taxes. Arlanta has 24 districts. We belong to the tenth district," Ijekiel pointed on the ground as he explained and Athanasia nodded, knowing he was talking about this place and the village.

"The 1st district and 11th district must both pay at the first month of the year. Then, 2nd district and 12th district at the second year, and so on." Athanasia nodded at his explanation. "Since we are at the 10th district, we should pay at the 10th month with the 20th district, right?" Ijekiel nodded.

"Correct. And every village has a noble with them that pays for the taxes. The people will only pay their taxes to the noble who lives with them." Athanasia raised a brow at this, "But, this village doesn't have a noble.." Her eyes widened at the realization.

"Yes, correct. Even in highest or coldest or isolated of village, there's always a noble who lives with them. But this village doesn't. Because of the Falyns." Athanasia looked at Ijekiel in confusion. "Because of the Falyns? Why?" Asked her.

"As you already know.. they are the guardians of this forest and also the village. They just isolated themselves from the villagers. Nobles try to govern this village but the Falyns wouldn't let them and wouldn't let them have a step in the forest or the mansion. Until they just give up and some nobles even despise this place because Hedyla and Alpha revealed their hearts' evil desire." Athanasia nodded, "Now that makes sense."

"The village must be having trouble now... Their crops have been dying and harvest aren't bountiful now.... If only there was a noble....." Ijekiel's eyes widened as he stopped walking. Athanasia looked back at Ijekiel with worried eyes. "Ije?"

"Nobles.... A nobleman.... A foreigner... That's it!" Athanasia flinched when Ijekiel suddenly said that out loud and placed both of his hands on her shoulder. "Yes?" "This is it, Sia! You've done it! How could I forget about this?" Ijekiel was like talking to himself since Athanasia wasn't sure what he was talking about.

"Yes? About what?" Asked her. Ijekiel walked faster towards the mansion with Athanasia trailing behind him. "Every village must have a noble, correct?" Athanasia raised a brow, "Yes. From what you've told me." Ijekiel opened the gate to their home and closed it after Athanasia went in. "And nobles who would govern this place must at least be acceptable by the Falyns and be able to stay in this mansion, yes?" Athanasia was beginning to piece the things together but she had one missing piece she couldn't understand.

"From what you've said?" And they entered the house and is now walking up the stairs to his room, "But, Ije, even if you are the son of Duke Alpheus of Obelia, people won't recognize you as such if the royal family doesn't pay attention to your status because of you being a foreigner." They both were in his office.

"And even if you've been here for 6 years and almost seven if you include this year, you cannot be granted the title of an official citizen of Arlanta since you've been only registered as a foreign exchange student and your stay here was only written as studying." Athanasia watched as Ijekiel was rummaging through his desk and drawers until he found the thing he was looking for.

He took it out and revealed it to be a book with a gray hard cover with the title, "Arlanta's Laws." He opened the book and was flipping the pages until he found the page he was looking for, "I know. But that's not what I was trying to say." And he placed the book down on his desk and beckons Athanasia to come close and read the part where he pointed.

She did as she was told and read the paragraph out loud. "Law 687 of the year 725, Reign of King Mactron VI; Foreigners who have come to live with Arlantians must pay twice the amount than the villagers....." Athanasia's eyes widened and looked at Ijekiel.

"Is this what I think it means?" Ijekiel grinned and Athanasia smiled. "Omy word! Finally! We can help the village!" Athanasia cheered and Ijekiel chuckled at Athanasia's cute self.

The next morning, Athanasia and Ijekiel were both walking towards the home of the village chief. They knocked on his door and it opened to reveal his daughter, Lady Arian. "Oh, my Lord and lady!" And ushered them inside their humble home.

They both sat down on the sofa. Athanasia took in the house's interior designs. It was small but cozy, there was a little fireplace that's keeping the small house warm but not warm enough. And the living room were just two sofas facing each other with a round table in the middle. Next to the living room was the kitchen and the dinning table.

Arian left them and went inside of one of the two rooms with doors. Athanasia guessed it was the bedrooms and the one she entered was probably the elder's bedroom. A few moments passed and Arian came out, assisting an old man who was crouched down and was walking very slowly with a cane. The village chief was a very old but wise and kind man.

He smiled at the two young people as Athanasia and Ijekiel stood up and said their greetings. "Ho ho ho. Please sit down, my Lord and my lady." They both sat down as Arian guided her father to sit at the opposite couch and then sat besides her father. "What brings you to our humble abode, my Lord and my lady?"

Athanasia and Ijekiel both smiled as Ijekiel placed four pouches of money. The village chief and Arian looked shockingly at the pouches, "Forgive me for asking, my Lord and lady, but what...is this for?" Athanasia smiled.

"It's our payment." She said. "Pay...ment?" Said Arian and Athanasia nodded, "Yes. Our payment for staying here. It is said that the Foreigners must pay twice than the normal citizen of Arlanta." The village chief and Arian both were quiet as they were filled with shock and were processing this all in until the village chief suddenly teared up, causing Athanasia and Ijekiel to flinch and be worried.

"Chief, are you alright?" Asked Ijekiel and Arian also teared up. 'Eh?! You too?!' Athanasia thought. They both were watching the father and daughter tearing up while they only sweat-dropped.

"P-please forgive us as w-we've shown s-such disgrace b-but thank you, my Lord and lady!" The village chief said as he bowed his head, Arian also nodded as she bowed her head too. "Eh?! W-we didn't do anything really. We just did what the law stated."

"No, my lady and Lord! You've done more than that! You've saved the village from being attacked and raided upon by the Landen Village. We thank you for your blessings and generosity!" Arian said.

Athanasia sweat-dropped. "He he he, you're welcome....?" Arian and the chief both smiled. And Athanasia and Ijekiel both smiled back. 'Oh well.... At least we helped.... That's good.'