Chapter 4 - Finally, a Plan

Start from the beginning

When Peter gave me the signal, I opened the truck door, since I was the only one who could be near Noah without turning into zombie chow, it made sense.

The doors opened and Noah jumped out ferociously hissing, eyes blazing red. My heart sunk to the bottoms of my feet. He looked even worse than last time. The wound on his neck and forehead were blackened, gaping sores.

The skin around it was puckred in an angry red shade contrasting brightly against his too pale skin. His cheeks had sunken in and his clothes looked more haggard than before. I knew he needed to feed, heck I needed to feed.

It's only been two days since my world crumbled around me but it feels like a lifetime has passed. I turned and walked out of the safe, tightly shutting the door behind me. The image of Noah was seared into my brain, etched there forever.

When I threw the lock in place the click echoed through the empty room.

Peter was leaning against the hood of the truck, "I think that will hold him for now."

"Good, now we need a plan. Do you have contact with anyone who worked with your sister at Biotech?" 

Peter shook his head, "No, I was only eight when she disappeared and by then she was a parriah at work. No one would talk to me when i asked questions. They said she left." 

"Well we need to get at least a name, so where's the next best place to look." 

"Her journal, it's the only thing I have of her and that's how I knew she didn't just leave." 

I walked to my bag and started packing it out to find the journal. A minute later I had all my books on the floor and even turned the bag around. Then I remembered that I put it in my locker after Shawna basically attacked me. 

"Shit! I left it at school." 

"Why would you take it school?" Peter asked with his hands in his hair. 

I sighed, "I didn't want to leave it home for my mom to find."

"We have to get it." 

"I'll get it tomorrow at school." I said. 

I started packing my books back into my school bag and Peter sat down on the floor next to me. He gently took my hands and I clenched my jaw . When my eyes finally met his I felt the crumbling start. 

No, be angry. 

The anger started at a low rumbling until it was a roaring inferno inside of me. I felt my feature's distort and the hunger slowly creep back in. Peter kept my hand in his, his eyes gently searching mine until the anger simmered down.

"You're angry and I get it but we need to stay focused." 

"The anger focuses me. If it wasn't for the anger, I'd be a mess right now." 

Peter shook his head, "Syd, you're a ticking time bomb right now. I can see it in your eyes and honestly, it's a little scary." 

My lips quirked around the corner, "Good, if it scares you, it should scare Biotech too." 

Peter sighed, "I know you want to make them pay. God knows I want to do that too but we have to find a cure for Noah first." 

I jumped to my feet taking the book bag with me, "You think I don't know that? That's all I can think about. It kills me to see him like this but if I let myself crumble I won't be able to help him. So, I'm angry and that's not going to change until I can help him." 

"Okay," Peter said slowly standing up. He held his hands out in a placating gesture, "if you're sure, I trust your judgment." 

I nodded my head, "Good, we need that journal."