Chapter Two

Class let out and I was already beyond exhausted from having to calculate formulas in my head. I was a psychology major, not a math major. I hopped back on the shuttle to get back to my dorm room. A nap was very much needed right now before anything else could happen. However, just as soon as I thought that, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey Marsai, it's Liliana. Can you meet me and Athalia at my dorm please? I'm in the building next to yall's. Room 203."

"Um okay sure. I'll be there in a few," I replied a bit hesitantly. I stopped walking towards my building and headed towards the one next to it. I didn't know if I even had access to it, but thankfully somebody just let me in.

I walked up the stairs as I watched the group chat blow up again over the party tonight. Outfits and makeup looks were being tossed around by the girls. The guys seemed to have disappeared from the chat for the time being.

I walked through the staircase door to the 2nd floor and tried to find 203. I rounded the corner of the hall and bumped into a large figure.

"Oh sorry, my bad."

"It's okay," the mysterious male voice replied, walking away immediately. He was gone in an instant. I brushed myself off mentally and continued on to 203.

I got to the door and took a deep breath. I don't know why I am always so anxious when meeting new people, but I chalked it up to being an introvert my whole life. I knocked on the door and heard a muffled "come in!" .

I walked through the door to see Athalia sitting in a chair with half of her makeup done and who I assumed to be Liliana doing her makeup.

"Hey Marsai! You can just sit in my bed while I finish up Athalia's face. Do you have dry, oily or combination skin?"

"Um oily I guess?" I answered walking over to her bed somewhat confused.

"Oh I'm doing you and Athalia's makeup for the party tonight. I want yall to look bomb af. Maybe you'll find somebody there," she winked at me. I was glad my skin was brown because I would've blushed so hard at her comment.

"So does everybody go to this party?" I asked while I watched Liliana apply some false lashes on Athalia.

"Yeah it's a big thing on this campus! We even get students from the other schools in Miami to come and party. Just mind some rules when you get there," Liliana exclaimed as sprayed some liquid on Athalia's face.

"First, when you see a Greek strolling, move out the away. You don't wanna be that person to bump into them."

I nodded and shuddered at the thought of what could happen if somebody bumped into one of them.

"Second, never take a drink from somebody you don't know. You don't know what's been mixed into it and who mixed it. Wouldn't want your virginity taken like that."

"I'm not a-"

"Third and last rule, you can't be a fly on the wall. Everybody is there to have fun. Dance baby girl. Shake some ass, it'll be great!"

The three rules swirled around my head, but soon I was put in the chair that Athalia was sitting in. A knock on the door stopped Liliana from starting my makeup. She walked over and opened the door and my ears started ringing from all the squeals.

"Hey you're Marsai right? I'm Yaël, Liliana's suitemate. I'm also in the group chat."

"It's nice to meet you," I replied quietly, giving her a small smile.

"Awww you're right Liliana! She's adorable!"

Yet again, I was glad I had brown skin.

"Do you guys have your fits for the party yet? People are gonna go ALL out for it. Can't be caught slippin'," Yaël informed us, as she fixed her afro puffs in the mirror.

"We were just about to figure that out actually. You got anything in mind? Cause my budget for clothes has been bad and definitely not boujee," Athalia sighed.

We all sighed at the relatable statement, looked at each other and burst out in laughter.

"Okay, let's be serious. We need to go out there and look like the baddest bitches on Earth. So I say, go pick out your sexiest clothes and let's see what we can pull together. We'll meet back here in 30 minutes, cause Marsai, your face still needs to be beat to the GAWDS," Liliana commanded with pride in her eyes.

We all scrambled out of her room to find potential outfits in our small closets. I already knew I would have the most trouble finding something in my closet. Dressing "sexy" has never been something I've done. I mean, at just 18 I was barely legal. Plus, I was also on the bordering big side.

The silence between me and Athalia was quieter than when we first met each other on move-in day. We were just so focused on finding something to wear to the party that not a second could be wasted on conversation.

With five minutes to spare, we rushed back to Athalia's room both holding a bag of clothes huffing and puffing at her door.

"We..managed to find some...stuff, but....I don't know... if it's..good enough," Athalia huffed as she tried to catch her breath.

"Well let's see what yall got! Marsai, spread yours out on the bed and Athalia you got my ottoman over there. Yaël will have my desk and I'll just pull from my closet," Liliana designated. She sounded like a captain commanding a ship, but in a nice way.

We spread out our clothes and I sat back down in the chair for Liliana to do my makeup.

"Okay, so Athalia, I think you can take that skirt and that body suit and pair it with some clear heels," Yaël began, looking over Athalia's clothes on the ottoman.

She walked over to my clothes on the bed and a part of me cringed. I already knew I didn't have much and would be surprised if she came up with something.

"Okay Marsai, your wardrobe needs a little work but we'll make do sis. I think me and you are almost the same size. I'm gonna let you borrow one of my dresses and then you can pair it with those boots," Yaël continued.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I knew my choices were highkey trash, but I was happy I ended up buying those boots during that summer sale.

Liliana finished my makeup and the three of them stared at me when I opened my eyes.

"Whoa..."

My mind began to panic. Did it look bad? Was I having an allergic reaction?

"Marsai, you look amazing! Were your eyes always that light of a brown?" Athalia gushed.

Let me reiterate that I was glad I had brown skin that didn't let blush be visible.

"Okay okay, no more gushing. Get into that outfit sis. We got a pregame to get to!"

That probably would've been a bad time to ask...what's a pregame?