Part II Chapter 36 - Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"Mr. Glenn," the two female teachers greeted, as they noticed their superior coming in.

"Oh, I see that everyone is already here!" Mr. Glenn noted. "Please don't get up. It will be quick."

The head-teachers all took a seat around the table. With most of the school's teachers present, the room was now almost full.

"Let us begin," Mr. Villin, the head-teacher in charge of the swordsmanship department, said, not wasting a single second. "I believe everyone agrees that some duels today were a bit... surprising."

As the professors exchanged agreeing looks, a voice suddenly spoke up.

"Did someone use dark magic?"

Mrs. Olga's unexpected interrogation caused a little commotion to rise in the room as all eyes turned on her. Her assumption wasn't irrelevant. Not everyone here was familiar with magic, but they all understood to some extent that the student named Vivian of Lorns used an abnormal spell.

"Alright, alright, please, calm down everyone. No dark magic has been used," Mr. Glenn immediately assured before turning his eyes on Mrs. Olga. "What made you think that, Mrs. Olga?"

"Well, I've heard a student used invisible magic, so..."

"Wait a second," someone abruptly interjected. "If no dark magic was used, then how do you explain Vivan of Lorn's victory? As far as everyone knows, she has always been mediocre. How could she have won against Lucius Bain, who is considered the best in his class?"

Without waiting for a reply, the man shifted his gaze on Mrs. Borge.

"Mrs. Borge. They are both students of your class. What do you have to say? Do you think it is possible for Vivian of Lorns to beat Lucius Bain?"

"No," the female teacher immediately replied, without even having to think twice about it. "It shouldn't have been possible."

Her arms crossed in front of her, she was displaying a hard expression.

"Why the jaded look, then, Mrs. Borge? Isn't this a good thing?" One of her colleagues noted. "A second-rate student defeating a talented classmate is something to be praised! She's your student, you should be proud of her."

However, the female teacher seemed to disagree as she let out a long sigh.

"I would have been if she had defeated him with her own abilities," she muttered loud enough to be heard, disappointment showing on her face.

Several teachers frowned at her revelation.

"Are you suggesting that she didn't defeat him by herself?"

Mrs. Borge didn't utter another word. However, that was enough for the others as they took her silence for a yes. A clamor of indignation was raised in the room as the possibility of cheating was being considered. Duels were meant to oppose two challengers for their real worth. Any form of external aids were thus absolutely forbidden. If a student resorted to the use of a magic item or something of the likes to assure her victory, then it would be absolutely scandalous.

As the commotion grew in the room, only one person did not seem to be surprised by the unexpected revelation.

"Mr. Glenn," someone called out. "Do you know anything about that?"

The head-teacher was displaying a large smile.

"Naturally," he admitted.

During the event, he had been the first one to notice that Vivian was being helped. As the one in charge of the magic department, it was easy for him to detect the mana of a third party involved in the fight. However, he had been unable to pinpoint its source.