80|something normal

Start from the beginning

I leaned forward so that I could see them both through the window, "We'll call you if we see someone coming, okay?"

"But, Scott," Stiles quickly said. "If you get caught, I can't help you. My dad's under investigation for an impeachment because of your dad, so, if anything happens, I will run and leave you both for dead."

I noticed Kira's eyes trail to me beside Stiles to see if he was being serious. "Without a second thought," I confirmed.

"Got it," Scott nodded, turning to Stiles. "Thanks. Seriously, dude."

"I'd ask my dad, but you know. . ." Stiles trailed off.

"No, I know. I get it."

"All right, just, uh, hurry up."

Kira and Scott walked away with another word, heading to the door that Stiles had instructed them to enter through. I could tell Stiles was anxious as he tapped away at the wheel, before grabbing the key he had shown me earlier out of his pocket and holding it up.

"You still don't know what it's for?" I asked softly. He shook his head, his lip caught beneath his teeth. "I'm sure it's nothing. You probably just put it on there and forgot about it. What else could it be?"

He spun it in his fingers, looking at it from all angles. "I'm not sure. But I know I wouldn't just put it on here for no reason."

Suddenly, Stiles' face lit up. But not because he was happy or had come across an answer; a car had pulled up across from us.

"What the hell?" I mumbled. "I thought you said it was just the night shifter that's already inside?"

"It is supposed to be just him," Stiles told me, shifting in his seat to get a better look at who was driving the car. Both our eyes widened when we saw that it was Scott's dad. Because, of course.

I noticed Stiles typing on his phone, watching Agent McCall as he did so. "Come on, Scott."

"He's not going to get out of there in time," I said quickly.

Stiles was already getting out of the Jeep, me following his lead. Shutting the door to his car, he rushed towards the station, "Okay, I'm so going to regret this."

We entered the building seconds after Agent McCall, bursting through the doors to get in front of him before he could reach the office. Stiles skidded to a stop in front of the man, almost falling as he did so.

"Hey, hey. Wow! Thank God you are here," he told the man, who stopped walking. "Oh, boy! Thank the lord."

I felt my insides lurch at the awkwardness of this interaction, listening to Stiles try to laugh it off.

"What do you want, Stiles?" The man asked, clearly not in the mood for the boy's antics.

"I was just. . . I was thinking on the case," he stumbled. "I was telling Riley about it, and then thought that I should clue you in on my thinking also. Right?"

I nodded swiftly, taking that as my cue, "Oh, definitely. He hasn't stopped talking about it. You should totally hear what he has to say."
I shut my mouth before I could say anything too out of character. And Stiles was also going to have to come up with a theory on the spot which - depending on what he said - may not actually be worth anyone's time.

"Yep. Here's my thinking. I was thinking this. . ." he brought his hands up and snapped his fingers, acting as if he were presenting something. "I was thinking that Barrow, right. . . Barrow received the information about who to kill at the school, right, you know that? So I was thinking maybe the person who gave him that information, check this out, might actually be someone at the school."