Explaining

-- Edited --

Luke's POV

I pulled Lorelai out the door. I looked back into the diner to make sure Willow had gone upstairs.

"What is going on Luke?" Lorelai asks.

I look around for anybody who might listen in on our conversation, then look back at her.

"Jess might not be the troubled kid you think he is, at least not in the same way," I tell her.

"What do you mean? What does this have to do with what just happened?" she asks confused, and maybe a little upset.

"Jess might get into a little trouble and be kind of an ass, but the reason his mother sent him here, is because he helped keep her from completely spiraling out of control. She was constantly drunk, or on some sore of drugs, or both. Jess was there to, at least kind of, keep her in check. He kept her, or her boyfriends, from hurting Willow," I explain to her.

"That's awful, Luke," she says, shocked.

"They got her clean, and sober for a little while, but Jess was still Jess, so Liz sent him away to live with me. With Jess gone she could do whatever she wanted because Willow would not stop her. Couldn't stop her. I know you've noticed the bruises, you've just said nothing. Liz's current guy lost it and went off on Will. She is so quiet and reserved most of the time, because Jess was always there for her to protect her and do all the talking," I finish.

"Those kids have seen some stuff, huh?" Lorelai says, still shocked.

"Probably more than either of us are aware of," I state.

Both of us head back into the diner where Rory had been left alone.

"What was that about?" Rory asked quietly.

"I'll explain later," Lorelai says.

"You guys still on for tomorrow?" I ask.

"If she's up for it then, yeah. You guys are still welcome to come over," She responds.

"Okay, I will see you tomorrow then," I reply.

"Bye, Luke," Lorelai says walking out the door.

"Bye," Rory says, following her mother.

"See you guys tomorrow," I say as I close and lock the door.

I finished cleaning and headed upstairs, Caesar had long since gone. As I enter the apartment I hear Jess talking.

He motions me to be quiet and I give him a nod. I realize he had actually been reading when he looked at Willow and continued.

I get ready for bed and as I finish; I notice that Jess has stopped reading and I see the lamp go off.

"Night, Jess," I say crawling into bed.

"Goodnight, Uncle Luke," He responds before going to sleep.

Yeah. These kids are gonna be fine.