Chapter 36

Honestly, your trust issues that very moment were... gnawing at you, with the very reason that you were letting Aziel Forbes to take you to a secluded place, where he has the chance to knock you out cold and take you to a getaway car and drive you far away, into the grasps of your own death.

However, much to your luck- he didn't.

He brought you to the fire exit, with the red sign from the door glaring at you as you brought yourself slowly by the railing. The footsteps coming from the both of you echoed through the walls that held flights of stairs that seemed never ending, and that seemed to put your nerves on edge.

Whatever this box is, it's odd to think that Aziel is only giving you this information for free. The fact that he also told you before that he didn't wish to end up in this current situation is playing at the back of your mind. Of course, he has personal intentions. However, judging from that way that your conversation went, you couldn't fully trust that idea either.

You pressed your lips into a thin line before turning to look at the young Forbes, a champagne glass in hand. He swirled the liquid from inside the glass, taking a deep sigh, possibly from his own unfortunate situation.

He could've benefit from this... but why?

Before you could hold yourself, you opened your mouth to speak.

"If you didn't notice, let me just point this out. You have a chance to knock me out cold and bring me to my father right as I'm talking. And no one will know," you stated, holding your phone tight in case he really did plan to.

He looked at you an raised a brow, "And?" He simply retorted.

You blinked, caught off guard for a bit before you cleared your throat, masking how his disinterested tone clearly took you aback for a moment.

"You have that chance right now, Aziel," you said.

From the corner of your eye, you could see how he shrugged his shoulders, "He already has a plan for you from what I've heard. However, as much as I want to rat him out, I don't know what it is."

He... has a plan for you. That idea alone brought a cold chill down your spine, eliciting a wake of goosebumps down your arm.

From that very moment, you felt... hopeless.

But you shook that idea away, also trying to hide the goosebumps that were pricked up your arms. With clear conviction, you've thought if the words that you wanted to say.

You leaned over the railing before turning back to him to ask that one thing that has been gnawing at your mind for weeks now.

"It's a file," he beat you to it, as if knowing what's already running inside your mind before taking a gulp of his champagne.

"And how would I know that you're telling me the truth?" You retorted.

He smirked, "You willingly followed me here, clearly you placed a bit of trust into me. And I ask for that same small trust to be placed once more. That is a file... but I'm not sure where it's found. But according to my father, it's where Elizabeth keeps the important records that she has."

"Did your father mention it to be physical, too?" You asked.

Much to your dismay, he shook his head, "No. He didn't mention if it was physical or digital, but he did mention that it contains a lot of information that you may not know," he casually said.

His last words, however, echoed.

'...you may not know.'

You narrowed your eyes at him, the latter thinking you're pissed but in all honesty, you were just thinking.