nothin' on you | asta x reader (angsty)

Author's Note:

I was listening to the song above as I was writing this. It's safe to say that I shed a few tears. Also, I barely edited this, so I apologize for any errors. XD

"Beautiful girls all over the world. I could be chasin', but my time would be wasted. They got nothin' on you baby."

Enjoy.

(Y/n) = Your Name

(Y/n) = Your Name

"Life's so short, Asta. Every hour isn't promised. That's exactly why I want you to go out and live your life. Don't worry about me, okay? As long as you're living your best life, I'll be alright."

She's in danger...but she's just as dangerous. (Y/n) leads a risky life, as does Asta. They two of them had joined the Black Bulls around the same time. During the short time they've known each other, they've become inseparable. Their comrades like to tease them about how close they are. Though, neither of them could deny their inner feelings.

On a recent mission, (Y/n) collapsed to the ground without warning. She was burning up and her body went limp. When the doctor inspected her, she was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Of course, this crushed the hearts of all her friends, but Asta took the hardest blow. Laying beside her, he sobbed himself to sleep. Every night, (Y/n) would try to calm him down by humming a tune. Without her, he'd find his nights to be restless.

Time's running out for them...and Asta wants to make the most of it.

(Y/n)'s Point of View:

I'm nudged awake by a hyper Asta, eager to get me out of bed. I groan and pull the covers back over my head. I guess that's what I get for taking a nap in the evening.

"Come on, (Y/n)! We'll be late!" he urges.

My eyes shoot wide open. "Late for what?! Am I forgetting something?!"

"Well, not exactly," he sheepishly admits, "It's a surprise."

Deep down, I'd really like to know what he's getting at. But I love surprises, so I play along and jump out of bed.

"Lead the way then."

~Time Skip~

After twenty minutes of walking around blindfolded, I come to a halt. Asta lets go of my hand and removes the cloth obstructing my view. Immediately, I'm silenced with awe. The scene was gorgeous.

"So, what do you think?" Asta smiles proudly.

I try to say something, but there are no words. I'm rendered speechless.

"(Y/n)? Are you okay? Why are you crying?" he panics.

"I-I'm sorry, I just love it so much. No one's ever done something like this for me before," I manage to say.

The gazebo is decorated so beautifully. Beyond the flowers and lanterns, there was a table for two. Asta takes my hand and leads me closer to the gazebo.

"Wow..." I muttered in awe.

We sat down and began a memorable conversation. We shared countless stories with each other, wandering from topic to topic.

"Did Yuno really say that?!" I laughed.

"Yeah, but what else should I expect from that jerk?" Asta grins.

"You're right," I shrug. "But you'll prove him wrong someday. You'll be an awesome Wizard King!"

"Hell yeah! And you'll be by my side the whole way, right?" he beams.

I want to agree...but something stops me. Instead, I look away with a small smile on my lips.

"Right...(Y/n)?" Asta stammers with a faded smile.

I reach across the table to hold his hand, looking him in the eyes.

"Well..." I hesitated. "You know tomorrow's not promised, Asta. Especially not for me..."

"D-Don't say that. Don't talk that way," he begged. "I'll find a cure! You'll be fine!"

I squeeze his hand tighter, knowing my next sentence would be a knife to the heart.

"Asta...there is no cure. It's simply not out there."

As if he's been suppressing them all along, tears flood from his stunning eyes and onto the tablecloth. The sight's heartbreaking.

"(Y/n), y-you can't- you can't l-leave me!" he cries. "I- I need you!"

A tear slips from my eye, only to fall out of sight. I let my head down, clenching my eyes shut.

"I'm sorry," I whimper. "I'm so sorry. I should've never brought it up. Let's just-"

I'm halted by a pair of soft, quivering lips on top of my own. I kiss back, comprehending every emotion he wishes to convey. Then, I share my own. I let him know how scared I am. I tell him how badly I want to stay.

When we break away for air, I can see his tears drying away. I smile at him, caressing his cheek as if he's a fragile treasure. He smiles back, relieving me of my anxiety.

"(Y/n), regardless of how much time together we have left, I promise to make the most of it," Asta swore.

"Same here," I nodded.

I promise.

~Time Skip of Five Years~

Asta's Point of View:

"(Y/n), I kept my promise, right? Did I succeed? Did you have a good time...while you were here?"

I await a response, knowing there'll be none. My eyes fog up with tears and my heart rips in two for the hundredth time.

"I know you're probably tired of my visits, but I just need your advice right now," I admit. "Truth is...I can't move on. Before you left, you told me to find a girl who'll love me and keep me happy. (Y/n), you were that girl. So what now?"

Silence.

"They just- they just can't compare," I mutter. "They have nothing on you. Nothing at all."

I sit in the silence for a while, trying to hold back my tears. That's when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I lift my head, coming face to face with my angel.

"I'll always be with you, Asta," she smiles assuringly. "You can't feel my mana, but it's there. I can't stay forever...but I'm here. I promise."

And for the first time in a while, I smiled.

End.

Author's Note:

I lost someone really important this summer. Maybe that's why I wrote this. I'll write a happier one next time.

Word Count: 1,027