American Dreams // Part Two

With the bust at the comic shop, our group split ways to head back home from the night

With the bust at the comic shop, our group split ways to head back home from the night. Betty Cooper and I were planning on settling in with a good movie and some pizza for our nightly adventures.

"I cannot believe Mrs. Jones is back in Riverdale," She commented as she set the hot box of pizza on the table. "She's kind of intimidating."

I winced and grabbed us some drinks from the fridge. "You have no idea," I sighed and set the bottles down on the counter as Betty handed me a paper plate. The weight of knowing what Gladys was up to kept me awake at night and I was tired of giving her that satisfaction. "Betty, there's something I have to tell you."

She set her pizza down before facing me. "What's up?"

"Mrs. Jones made Veronica and I swear to secrecy, but if... if you do move back in your house, I can't have you getting caught up in this, not even by association."

Betty frowned. "Caught up in what, Vanna?"

"I.. we have insider information that Gladys Jones is taking over the drug trade in Riverdale," I spilled as I grabbed some pizza for myself.

"What, like Fizzle Rocks?" Betty asked, "I thought all of that stuff was gone now?"

I nodded. "It was. But it's getting ready for a comeback with Gladys leading the charge instead of Hiram."

Betty shook her head slightly as she absorbed the information. "Vanna, you have to tell me everything... and then you need to tell Jughead. I know you probably don't want to... but he has a right to know."

--

The rest of the night involved me telling Betty everything that went down that involved Gladys and Hiram's drug operation. The hardest part was going to be telling Jughead. How do you break it to your boyfriend that his mom, who hasn't lived with him in years, is running an underground candy shop for her own benefit when her husband is the sheriff? I had no clue.

The time arrived faster than I wanted it to and I found myself following Betty down into the bunker the next morning. Archie and Jughead were already inside, the former pacing the room while the latter sipped at a coffee.

"Hey, morning," Archie greeted as soon as we stepped into the room. I gave him a smile before grabbing an extra chair to sit on while we talked. Across the table were scattered photos of any individual or symbol associated with the game.

Archie shook his head as he looked at the pieces scattered across the surface. "It's a weird feeling, knowing that there are all these people, strangers out there, who want to kill me," He mumbled as he sat down across from me, Betty taking the remaining chair.

"It's the game," She commented as she looked at all of the cards. "It makes people crazy."

"You know, as a matter of fact, those hardcore gamers are so obsessive, any message they receive from the Gargoyle King they take as gospel. Maybe we can harness that," Jughead suggested.