17. The Darkness

"Wake up"

"Hey."

"Wake up!"

I sit up and blink the sleep from my eyes. I glance up to see Asher standing before me. He smiles and holds out a hand. "Hey. The surgery's over. Ezra's still asleep, but you can see mom." I take his outstretched palm and he lifts me up effortlessly. I follow him down the hall.

"So, everything went okay?"

"Yes, they're both recovering good." I nod, relief settling in my chest.

"Thank god. Where's Dex?"

"He's with mom already."

"Oh, okay." We reach the room and I tentatively step in and mom turns her head. She gives me a smile.

"Hey, sweetheart." She looks so much better. Tired, and worn out, but better.

"Hi, mom. How do you feel?"

"Great. Exhausted, but great." I sit in the chair next to her and take her hand. "I'm really thankful for Ezra." I grin.

"Me too."

"It's a good thing you met her." I squeeze her hand gently.

"I know."

"How is she?" I glance up at Asher and shrug.

"Not really sure. Good, I think. She hasn't woken up yet."

"I see. I'm sure she's okay." I nod.

"Yeah, Ezra's pretty strong." Mom grins.

"Someone in the relationship has to be." I roll my eyes and laugh with her. "Kidding... sort of." I squeeze her hand and smile. "Has.. has your father stopped by?" I look back at Asher who shakes his head. I turn back and see mom's smile slip. "Oh.. I see."

"It's probably because of me. He doesn't like me that much." I give a weak laugh and mom narrows her eyes at me.

"If it's because of you, then I'm glad he's not here. He should love you no matter what." She hesitates for a minute. "Does he know.. about you and Ezra?" I snort.

"Are you kidding? I just rid myself of one bruise, I don't need another." Asher behind me gasps and Dexter starts forward.

"Adora, if he ever-" Asher lays a hand on my shoulder but I shrug it off.

"He's threatened to, but he hasn't. It's fine."

"But-"

"I'll make sure I'm not alone with him, alright?" Dexter sighs. "There's not a lot you could do either, Dex. You know how he'd react if you.." He avoids my gaze but nods.

"I know." His phone starts ringing, and Dexter looks relieved. "I'll be back in a minute." He leaves the room leaving the three of us alone.

"So, Asher. You're the only one who has no one." Asher glares at me. "You must be lonely, huh? Sad, lonely, Asher." Mom chuckles lightly.

"Oh, quit your teasing, sweetheart." I grin at my older brother and he rolls his eyes. Dexter suddenly stumbles into the room.

"Dora- she woke up." I look to my mom in panic but she squeezes my hand and smiles.

"Go." I stand up and leave my family behind as I head to Ezra's room. The door is slightly ajar, and I push it open, and step in. She looks tired, but okay. Her eyes are closed but I can tell she's awake

"Hey." Her eyelids flutter open and she smiles at me.

"Hi, Peaches." Ezra croaks out. I move and sit on the edge of the bed.