12. The Sister

"Skylar? What are you doing here, I thought you couldn't come?" The girl with hair the same color as Ezra's furrows her brow.

"I came to surprise you! But.. when I tried to say hi, I see you with- with- some girl!" She waves her hands violently in my direction. I hug myself tighter and step back.

"I should go. I'll see you back at home, okay?" I begin moving away but Ezra catches at my hand.

"No! Don't. Please? Don't go, Adora." I stare into her eyes, hazel full of desperation. They don't have the shine they had a minute ago when I kissed her.

"Okay." I move to Ezra's side again and she sighs with relief.

"Who is she? And why the hell were you kissing her? Are you a dyke?" I bite my lip furiously. Ezra's hand slides down my arm, searching for my hand.

"Her name is Adora. She's my roommate, and.." My friend. But do friends kiss one another? "I have feelings for her, Sky." Ezra's voice is so soft and feeble. Skylar's nose flares.

"You're mental. There's something wrong with you. You're a dyke. A fucking lesbian." Ezra whimpers and stares at the ground. She's normally so strong, so independent. But I suppose the need for support from her sister cuts deeply.

"Skylar, please. I'm no different! I'm still Ezra." Ezra reaches towards her sister. "Thank you for coming. I-" Skylar jumps backwards and bumps into someone from Ezra's dance team. "Sorry, Mia." Ezra murmurs to her.

"Stay away. You're a freak. No sister of mine. Why didn't you tell anyone? We could've gotten you help." Her eyes flick to me. "We still can. Come on, Ezra. Let's call mom. We can set up therapy, or-" Ezra releases my hand and moves forward again.

"Are you trying to say you can fix me? Change my sexuality? Like it's a disease?" Skylar's face turns a shade of pink.

"Obviously! Ez, we can help you." Ezra laughs, but it doesn't sound that happy.

"If you don't accept me, just stay out of my life! You can't fix me! You can't change who I am!" Skylar snorts.

"Whatever. Don't talk to me again. I'll tell mom and Alex. They'll hate you. You'll have no one. No one will love you." Ezra turns slightly and I see the tears running down her face. I feel the anger bubbling inside me and I move towards the girl.

"I will. She'll have me. I'll care for her. Ezra is so sweet and kind. Clearly something you have no experience with. Ezra doesn't need therapy- you do. You've got problems." Skylar gasps and raises her hand to me.

"No!" Ezra cries out, and reaches for me, but I catch at Skylar's wrist and push her arm back down.

"Stay away from her. You're toxic." I step back, pick up the flowers from the ground, and grab Ezra's arm. "Let's go, Ezzy." I pull her across the hall to the corridor she came from earlier. I wait for her while she grabs her stuff.

A man staggers into me and mutters sorry. I shoot him a small smile and a nod. I hear footsteps and Ezra comes closer to me. Her jacket in dangling from her arm, and she has a white backpack clutched in her hand. When she approaches me, she drops the bag and wraps her arms around my neck.

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Peaches." I hug her back, holding her waist.

"Of course. Are you ready to go?"

"Sure, in a minute. But.. before we go.." Ezra pulls away and gives me a look. "Can we do what we were doing earlier? Before Skylar?" I blush and laugh.

"You mean.. this?" I lean towards her and kiss her gently, barely grazing her lips with mine.

"Yes. But a little better, please." I grin and kiss her harder this time. She moves her hands to my cheeks, pulling my mouth tighter on hers.