Baffled Birds of the Masquerade

"It's more fun this way." August smiled. He always smiled when he knew he would have his way.

"If by fun you mean dangerous, then yes. It's more fun," Siles hissed through his teeth. But he didn't have time to argue, not when he had to figure out how to keep everyone safe despite August's meddling. It was supposed to be an unmasked ball, but safety was no matter to August. He only cared about the aesthetics, and aesthetically speaking, unmasked balls were boring. So, the ball would have masks, and their enemies could sweep through unnoticed.

Then there was the matter of the alchemist. Her absence weighed on his mind like a bad omen. The Southern Queen had to have kidnapped her. The timing aligned too perfectly with her visit. And yet, they didn't have enough proof to risk provoking the queen they were trying so hard to appease. They didn't want war, or at least August didn't want war. Siles took a deep breath to calm his nerves. It didn't work.

He left August in his quarters and rushed through the halls, pausing only to check that the shadows were still staffed by the soldiers he had placed there. The Queen and her people would not go unwatched during their celebrations. In fact, thanks to the danger that the masks presented, nobody would go unwatched. Once Siles had confirmed that the soldiers were attentive and in position, he moved on to the ballroom itself.

Siles stumbled when he entered the ballroom. Just a day earlier, maps had still hung from the windows and rows of tables had sat coated in dust from the bygone era when the Queen had used the room to plan her wars. Now, the black tiles glittered like a starry night sky while the great arching windows of the far wall revealed the pink and orange streaks of the setting sun. The splintered wooden desks had vanished, replaced by delicate marble tables that curved along the edge of the round room. The kitchen servants had already begun to place dishes on the tables, keeping the silver cloches in place. That was what Siles was here for.

Siles waved the kitchen servants over. They edged towards him and maintained a safe distance when they stopped. He bit back a smile. Every reminder that he could still intimidate without a mask brought him more relief than he was willing to admit.

"You are all going to play a very important role tonight," Siles said. The servants' bowed heads jerked up in surprise. He had their attention now. "We have reason to suspect that the Southern Queen intends to poison the King and the Council. I need every one of you to watch the food carefully tonight and immediately remove anything you believe has been contaminated. Understood?"

The servants bobbed their heads in unison like pigeons pecking for crumbs. Siles left them in the ballroom and swept back through the castle to August's quarters. Anxiety bubbled in his chest like a pot about to boil over. He had spent too much time away despite his rush. Especially with an enemy queen approaching, he couldn't afford to leave August unprotected. Siles didn't trust the day guards or night guards to truly protect his King.

"Back so soon?" August greeted him as he entered the room, hastily tucking his arms behind his back.

Siles stared at him. August looked different. He had always dressed well, but his suit for the masquerade outdid any prior concept of "well." He looked like the starlings that roosted on the castle walls. The suit's fabric was black velvet, but where the light hit it the black became purple and green while streaks of gold peppered the tailcoat like shooting stars. The dark green matched his eyes. Siles quickly looked down. He hadn't meant to make eye contact. He hadn't meant to stare.

Siles realized too late that he had forgotten to respond. "You look... nice," he stuttered. He quickly cleared his throat. It didn't matter how August looked. It just mattered that he was safe. "Every soldier is in position and I have warned the kitchen servants to keep an eye on the buffet. It would be safest if you don't eat from the buffet at all."