Not-August

Apologies for the long radio-silence. I just finished an internship and then moved states. All settled in now. XOXO ~ Taborix

"I'm sorry."

Siles glanced up from his book as August walked through one of the throne room's many arches. "Did they reject it?" he asked. Given the new Councilmembers, he would have expected the majority to agree to a commoner education system. The new King had managed to track down and appoint a set of magicians whose opinions formed a polar opposite to Queen Samira's remaining selection.

August stuttered, "Oh, no, they passed it. I'm just... I'm sorry if I said anything weird last night. I can get weird when I'm drunk. It's nothing."

Siles ran a finger along the pages of his book. He had appointed other guards to morning duty and neglected to show at the Council meeting. Unfortunately, August knew his habits well enough to recognize when they changed. "No, you didn't say anything weird. You're fine. I just figured I should appoint guards for you in case the Council agreed to the plan."

August watched his mask, probably imagining the face beneath it. "Why would I need more guards because of a school system?" He hugged his arms as he spoke, looking more like a lost schoolboy than a regal king.

"Because I intend to help implement the school system." And escape the confines of the castle. Siles tried not to let his discomfort show as he continued, "I figured it would be wise for someone who is comfortable speaking with commoners as an equal to explain the situation to them. They'll have to teach themselves since none of ours would be willing to help, so I need to determine which buildings are available and who to hire."

Something in his voice must have changed, since August continued to watch him nervously. Maybe he had spoken in a softer tone, before. Though he was practically whispering, now, to avoid informing August's other guards of his plans. Siles couldn't remember how he normally interacted with August. One generally didn't keep track of that kind of thing. But it didn't matter. His excuse was valid; August couldn't reject it. He wouldn't. He was too much of a coward.

"Alright," August said, releasing a puff of a sigh. "Do you need anything? Materials? A horse? Some guards of your own?"

Siles hadn't thought that far ahead. Now that he did think about it, he realized that he would need to be more cautious with this trip than his previous ones. For the first time, he would act as the bookbinder on official business. The commoners would consider him a fellow commoner no more; they would know that he acted on behalf of the King. He hoped he would be able to maintain their trust if – no, when other rebellions arose. Even with a King as kind as Siles hoped August would continue to be, there would be unrest.

"A horse, yes," Siles mumbled, more to himself than to August. "Actually, you should assign the royal bookbinder as head of the program. He will know what to do better than I would. And he could use the program funds to borrow one of the royal horses." Rather than that mangy thing Bart called a horse.

August continued to trace Siles' mask with his eyes. "The bookbinder, right. I'll write up the necessary documents and deliver them to his quarters."

Siles watched August leave the throne room, then realized he had to change into the correct attire then run to his other quarters in order to collect the documents. One of the new guards watched Siles as she followed August from the room, so Siles kept his stride to a casual stroll as he exited through the opposite door. He reached one of the servants' halls, then sprinted. The servants stared, but they didn't matter. The bookbinder couldn't make the King wait – to do so would damage the King's reputation, especially since August would do so without complaint instead of reprimanding the disrespectful commoner. He had forgotten to tell August to use a messenger like the late Queen had always done.