Chapter Nineteen: Like penguins

Start from the beginning

If I said I wasn't still a little cautious, I would be lying. Considering what I witnessed, what human wouldn't be? However, a sense of security envelops me whenever he's around, and it banishes any fears I might have, even if he's also the source of them.

"So..." I start. Well, I really have no idea how to exactly ask this, so I just come out with it. "Tami told me you would explain what mates are?" He nods and pauses for a second, collecting his thoughts.

"Well, you've heard of soul mates before, right?" he asks. I nod. "Well, it's basically the same thing... A mate is the one person who was made for you. You know, the whole 'two hearts beating as one' thing. You can't stand not being around them, and when you're apart, everything becomes meaningless. No one else can compare to the beauty of your mate, and no one else can come between you." He pauses for a moment, thinking.

"It's the person you spend the rest of your life with, and it's the person you can't spend the rest of your life without," he concludes. He's staring me directly in the eye and I'm able to see that he meant every word. There was nothing but pure admiration and love in his eyes.

Seriously, I almost cried. I briefly wonder if he had this pre-planned, because it's by far beyond his romantic capacity. It isn't some big declaration of love, Hollywood worthy speech, but it's perfect enough for me.

I'm at a loss for words. It's the person you spend the rest of your life with, and it's the person you can't spend the rest of your life without. How much more romantic can you get?

So, naturally, something stupid comes out of my mouth without my permission.

"Kind of like penguins, right?"

I want to slap myself at the moment.

Penguins? Really?

I'm hoping that maybe he's so caught up in the moment that he missed my embarrassing blunder, but of course, that isn't the case. He starts laughing.

Yes, all romance gone. He's laughing at me.

"Shut up!" I defend myself. "Penguins stay with their mates for their entire lives, even if one of them dies; they never find a new mate. It's a legitimate question!"

"So you're comparing wolves, to penguins?" he asks through laughter, swiping a tear from under his eye.

"No! I mean, in a way, I guess... Just answer the question!" He lets the rest of his laughter flow out before regaining his composure. It's quite a sight seeing him laugh like that, and I feel somewhat happy that I'm able to do that. Mr. Grumpy Pants does have a funny bone.

"Yes Princess, like penguins."

"So that's it? You're my penguin-werewolf mate?"

He chuckles. "Technically, yes."

"What do you mean technically?" I inquire. I make myself comfortable by laying my head in his lap while he continues with his explanations. His hand rubs up and down my arm, and I take great enjoyment in the tingles I feel at each spot his hand touches.

"Well, there is sort of a process you have to go through before it's official," he says.

"Which is?"

"Well, first I have to mark you and then-"

"Hold up mister, mark me? Like with a permanent marker or something? Or a tattoo? Can it be a butterfly? Oh! I want it on my ankle, and I could even get your name under it if you want-"

"No, nothing like that," he laughs. Darn. I really want an excuse to get a tattoo. It's number fourteen on my Bucket List. "It's essentially where I bite you right, here." He moves my hair off my neck, poking the spot where my neck meets my shoulder. A feeling of pleasure soars through me when his finger makes contact with the spot, like it's the control button for pleasure. Guess that's it all right.