Chapter 26

As Derek and I shook the hand of the last lady leaving , the guards started closing the palace doors while the staff attended to the cleaning. All working swiftly and quick on their feet. Probably trying to finish so they could go to bed no less. I knew the feeling...

"Let's get you to bed. Yeah?" Derek said , placing his hand on the small of my back as he led me upstairs towards my room.

"Derek?"

"Yeah?" He said , halting in his steps.

"I'm ready."

"For what?" He asked confused, putting his hands into his pant pockets.

"To move in with you. Officially anyway. I don't wanna be apart anymore. If we're going to do this. We're going to do this the right way." I said making a smile form on his face filled with pure joy.

"I love you so much Elena. " he said taking my face between his hands as he placed a steamy kiss to my lips before pulling away, leading me to our room. As we were cuddled up in our new room, I felt safe. At home. It felt... right in a way I couldn't quite explain yet. This time around , I wasn't fearing for my life - like the last time we were together in this bed - and it felt nice knowing I could finally feel safe in his arms.

I woke up to peppering kisses being placed all over my face and body, as a smile spread across my face while I looked up into his burning gaze softened with a smile. As much as I would hate to admit it , waking up next to this man became my favorite thing in the world.

"Morning my love." I said , propping myself up by one arm as I watched him look at me with so much love in his eyes.

"Morning. " He said while his smile could reach the stars again. I could tell he was really happy. "You ready for the big day ?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." I said cuddling into the warmth of his side while the sheets tangled around my body. It was a cold morning , in a way it set the tone for what I was feeling in my heart. Fear , anxiety , this feeling of not knowing what to expect. We were finding out the gender of our baby today.

In a lot of ways I was really nervous of today's outcome - even though I knew Derek had turned over a new leaf and would love our baby regardless of the gender - but there was still that quiet voice whispering, reminding me of what happend the last time...

"I know you're nervous . But don't be. Boy or girl , we're keeping it. And raising them together. " He said as if reading my mind - that never seemed to stop creating false alternatives and realities - while he held me closer, stroking my hair gently.

"I really hope so..." I mumbled under my breath before we got up from bed and ready to face the day head on.

It started off slow just like any other day. Breakfast with his father - that seemed to have grown quieter since Derek voiced his distaste towards him - and then work for a few hours - while I sat at the pond - right up until lunch. After that I became filled with more stress than I could imagine being good for me nevertheless the baby. Though it eased my mind a bit more once Derek escorted me to the appointment. Atleast I wasn't alone this time...

"Everything seems good. " Dr Edgar said while I tried to muster a smile while fiddling with my hands in my lap. " I imagine you'd like to know the gender." He said with a light hearted chuckle as Derek joined him while I held my breath , unknowingly gripping Derek's hand tight. This was where it all went wrong the last time. Where it all started and ended again.

This was it.

"Congratulations, it's a boy !" He said while I blew out a heavy breath, letting go of Derek's hand. On the one hand I would've been happy either way - boy or girl - but on the other hand , I was ecstatic that it was a boy and that I knew Derek was going to stay. My heart kept telling me that he was going to stay either way , but would that ever have been the case ? I guess we'll never know the real reasons behind him now...

He had what he wanted and he was happy. That's all the matters now. Right ?

"I'm so happy !" Derek said getting up while he pulled me along with him , placing a kiss to my lips.

"I'm so happy too." I said with a genuine smile. This might not be his real biological son , but atleast some good came out of my mistake. I was able to give him a son to raise. That's what he's always wanted. But why don't I feel better? Relieved?

I watched as Derek's good mood affected everyone around us while we passed them on our way to his office, all wearing smiles that could reach their eyes. I was glad that they were all happy. That I could be able to atleast do one thing right . Give them an heir. I just wish their joy would've rubbed off on me too...

"What's wrong Elena? I could see somethings been bothering you since we found out ." He said pulling me into his lap while I layed my head on his chest , hearing his heart beat fast.

"I'm fine."

"You're not fine baby. Tell me what's wrong..."

"It's just , I'm happy it's a boy and that you're so happy. But a small part of me keeps wondering if the outcome would've been the same if it was a girl . " I said , not daring to look up at him. That's until I felt his warm breath close to my ear as he whispered;

"Why don't we find out ?" By that I was confused and lifted my head up as he wore a cheeky grin while I frowned still not knowing what he meant.

"What are you talking about ?" I said placing my hand on his chest while I searched his gaze. His hand then proceeded to wrap around me - holding me in place - as the other one rested on my now slightly larger belly .

"When this little guy's born. Why don't we try for one of our own too and then I'll prove to you , that I was serious . Boy or girl. I'm ecstatic. " That was all I needed to hear to make my heart beat out of it's chest and a genuine smile play on my lips while I captured his.

"You really mean that?" I said pulling back breathless.

"If I didn't, would I still be here ?" He said making me so happy I could burst while I contently lied my head back on his chest while he just held me. I don't know how long we've stayed like that , but it's the happiest I've been in a long time.

I'm ending it here ! I know that them having a boy is a little predictable but I think it's what they needed right now. Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time, keep howling my wolves ❤🐺