Chapter 24

It's been two months since everything spiralled out of control around here and Derek and I couldn't have been happier. We haven't had any other problems nor have I thought to bring up what happened to Samaul at the end of the day since it's irrelevant anyway. My belly has been growing so fast and by Friday I would have reached the three month - first trimester- mark. Which basically meant I had less of a chance of losing another baby again. Derek's been so helpful and actually very excited to find out the gender of the baby in a few months.

In celebration of the announcement of my pregnancy to the town's people, he had ordered a ball to be held on Friday and for the first time I was looking forward to it.

"Do you think miss Grace will come ?" I said excited while being fitted for my gown.

"I don't know. I sent a personal invitation out to her like you asked but after what I did to her , I'm not so sure." Derek said from the couch as he watched the seamstress move around me.

"Maybe if I wrote her a letter. Do you think she'll come. I mean , It's worth a try right ?"

"I love how optimistic you are." He said standing up and placing a peck to my cheek. "I'll have someone send you the supplies up to your room. But for now , I have a meeting to get to. I'll see you later." He said while I gave him a quick peck before he left.

Needless to say ; I had put my best effort into writing the letter as believable - and most like me - as I could. The ball was way too close to have her write me back - it'll be pointless - so all I had to go on for the next day was the hope that she would change her mind and attend after all. I've really missed her most of all so I really hoped it would work.

"Hey." Derek said , coming around and draping his arm over me.

"How was your day?" I said looking up while placing my book to the side.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He said with a chuckle, cuddling into my side more as I layed my head on his chest. His hand ran through strands of my hair as I listened to him talk about his day. His voice sounding like a sweet melody almost putting me into a trance or a blissful rest. It's become my favorite time of the day, and my favourite place. In his arms.

"Are you even listening?" He said with a chuckle as it returned my thoughts back from their far away place.

"Yeah , I just... a lot on my mind."

"Like what?" He said brushing my hair to the side.

"I don't know... life ?"

"What about it ?" He asked more serious , as he switched the side lamp on so we could see eachother more clearly.

"I mean , things are going to change now. Right ?"

"I mean , sure but if you don't want them to it doesn't have to."

"No , you misunderstood me. I mean sure with the baby things are obviously going to change. But I'm talking about us. This town and your rulings . You said you wanted to make a change right ? So are you still planning on doing that ?"

"Elena...you know I really want to but my dad-"

"What abour your dad? He's not the king anymore. You are."

"It's not that easy." He said untangling himself from me as he stood infront of me making me feel like that small,powerless girl when I first arrived. I could see he was battling with himself . I also knew that deep down he really did want to make a change , but he was just too scared of his father and what he would think.

"I know. And I know you'll find a way." I said placing a kiss to his cheek before walking into the bathroom and running the shower.

"How are you so amazing?" He said getting into bed next to me.

"I don't know. I just... am." I said with a giggle turning towards him as I watched him look at me , almost as if he was studying every feature of mine.

"You know what Elena?" He said as I cuddled into his side. " I think it's time you moved in with me."

"Derek," I said with a giggle , sitting up "I'm already living with you."

"No , I mean with me. In my room. A king should be able to be with his queen. " he said while I said nothing. "You'd like that. Right?"

It was a big step for me and one I didn't want to rush. But then again, we we're technically already sharing a room it just so happened to have been mine. So what difference would it really make. Right?

"I'd love to." I said placing a quick kiss on his lips before turning on my side again. "Now go to bed. We've got a busy day tommorow. " I said while I heard him mumble under his breath; yes my queen , before sleep overtook us both.

*****
It's been all hands on deck since the sun rose above the mountain I once lived upon. All of the staff were running around with plates and flowers, food and drapings , anything and more one would need for a royal ball. While I on the other hand didn't have to lift a finger. I have to admit that it  made me feel useless and incapable but then again, it was nice to not have to worry about something like this for a day.  Though the stress was company enough on whether or not Miss Grace would show. I tried not to think about it too much since I knew overthinking usually came easily to me and didn't leave me quite the same . Derek on the other hand couldn't be bothered less . When I had asked what his plans were for today he just simply replied ; work until 5 and then shower and host the ball. It seemed easy to him. Like a second language or a native tongue. He seemed... used to this as I were NOT , and freaking out over everything there ever could be to worry about.

"You're overthinking again Elena."

"How could you tell?" I asked looking over at him .

"Which tell ? You biting your nails or you staring out into space? Look Elena , everything's fine and you have nothing to worry about. Okay?" He said walking over to me while I blew out a breath I didn't even realise I was holding.

"I know."

"Now stop worrying then." He said with a chuckle placing a kiss to my temple.

"Yeah , you're right. I think I just need some time to unwind. I'll be in the library if you need me." I said with a smile getting up.

As I closed the door behind me , I blew out a breath giving myself a pep talk - that I had nothing to worry about - before turning around and bumping into a hard chest making me drop my book.

Scrambling to the ground both of our hands reached out to pick it up as I retracted my hand as quick as I reached it out.

"Queen Elena." He said sounding formal almost as if the last few months didn't even happen , as he handed me my book.

"Thank you Cade." I said turning in the opposite direction and walking away before anything else could happen.

"I'm glad you and king Derek worked things out." He said from the end of the hall as I halted in my steps for a second , turning around.

I didn't know what to say. I mean, what do you say to someone that you were once so close with but also so distant at the same time ?

"I'm glad too." I said promptly before continuing my walk to the library. The longer I stayed , the more chance there would've been for things to go wrong again. And that was the last thing I needed right now.

I had my doubts with this one but in the end I think I kind of saved it though you're my only judge. Thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time, keep howling my wolves ❤🐺