Chapter 8

As morning came and the sun shone brightly through the broken window glass I knew I had successfully survived the night. He hasn't found me yet and that's all that mattered . Maybe now he'd get the message that I wasn't interested - and never will be - and get another girl who actually WANTS to marry into his stupid family.

As I ate the last of my leftover breakfast , I knew it wasn't going to hold me unless I went and found something else. Throwing the coat to the side I climbed out the back window , going through all the dark old alley ways to the diner. By now it was too early for him to even call on me for breakfast so I had a little time to make an appearance in town.

As I walked through the back door I saw Ruby - one of my friends and co workers - slaving away in the kitchen.  I was happy to see a familiar face again. It was too long...

"Ruby!" I called over with a smile as she turned around making me see her tear stained face. " hey , what's wrong ?" I said walking closer.

"What are you doing here?  You have to go back. You have to go before he takes someone else too. Please , just go Elena ." She begged me trying to shove me back outside while I was completely confused as to what she mumbling on about.

"Wait , hold on Ruby . What are you talking about ? Who's been taken? "

"Miss Grace ! And it's all your fault ! Why didn't you just stay there ? Why Elena ? Why !?" She said full on sobbing now , her tears filling the mop bucket like rain water.

"What ? Miss Grace is gone !? How ? Why ? " I rambled as panic started to set in. When I thought about running yesterday morning I didn't even think about what that could've meant for Miss Grace. How selfish of me, I know . But now it was far too late to stop him or turn back the clock.

"He... was here last night. " She said calming down a bit more.

"Who , Derek ?" I asked to which she nod her head.

"Yeah, I was working a late shift when he came bursting in looking for you. I told him I haven't seen you since he took you two weeks ago but he still didn't believe me. Hearing the noise , Miss Grace came out from the kitchen and asked what was going on to which he grabbed miss Grace and took her with him . He said that if and when you came around that I should tell you that he will be back tonight and if you didn't show he would... he would -"

"He would what Ruby? Spit it out!"

"He would kill Miss Grace! Please Elena , don't let him to that! Please just be here tonight. I'm begging you !" She cried, pulling at my shirt as she sobbed and begged for me to be the hero in their lives.

But what if I'm NOT the hero they all so desperately needed me to be ?

"I ... don't know if I can do that Ruby..."

"What? Why !?"

"Do you know what it's like living there ?"

"What ? The big ol' fancy palace where you can eat whenever and whatever you want , not having to work a day in your life again because everything is done for you ? THAT palace ? 'Cause it sounds like a pretty good life to me ." She said wiping her nose and leaning on the broom.

"That's what he wants you all to think. He wants me to be 'submissive ' and ' obedient ' to him. Doing exactly what he wants me to do ." I said trying to explain to her that living with him was pretty terrible.

"Well yeah . That's what we were raised to do . You know that. "

"And that's the point Ruby !  I'm not like that ! And I'll never be the 'proper young lady ' he expects me to be. Why should I have to change to fit into a life I didn't even want ?"

"You mean the better life ? Look Lena , I know this is hard for you and that you didn't want this at all but , you're really privileged to even have this opportunity at a better life. A life where you don't have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from or to fix the hole in your shoe. We all have to worry about that for the rest of our lives now. There's no happily ever after for the rest of us ... so think about THAT the next time you're homesick." She said leaving me with my thoughts. On the one hand she was right,  I was privileged to be taken out of a life I didn't even realise I needed saving from. But on the other hand , I don't think I can sell my soul to be someone I'm not .

But no one around here understood what it was like for me ...

Grabbing some rolls from the counter , I head back to my cabin to change into some fresh clothes. If he knew about my absence last night, there was no use in hiding out anymore. So why even bother ?

When the sun started to set , I made my way down to the diner seeing the coach already parked outside. He was here. I took a deep breath and reminded myself WHY I was willingly giving myself up . For Miss Grace. And I tried to remember that throughout our conversation though it had it's times where that slipped my mind.

"But I'm NOT like all the other girls in this town ! Look at me dammit ! Do I look like a preppy school girl who's just BEGGING to be royalty? "

"Well-"

"I'm not Derek! And I never will be ! This is me . The real me , so take it or leave it. " I said watching him pace around the diner while Ruby cleaned Miss Grace up at the back.

"You have to understand Elena that there are certain requirements you have to meet as my wife and ruler of this kingdom." He said a lot calmer than I thought he would.

"Then why don't you take someone who MEETS those requirements?  Why do you keep yourself up with me then ? I'll NEVER meet those requirements don't you see that? "

"Of course I see that Elena. But you're different !" He yelled out , taking me back.

"Well don't you think I know that by now . I've always been the weirdo,  the outcast, the least lady like of all my friends . Why do you think I'm so feisty and always looking to pick a fight with you ? I DON'T do well under authority. "

"You're driving me crazy Elena. " He said while he paced back and forth. 

"If I drive you so crazy why don't you just pick someone else and get on with it so we can all move on with our lives-"

"I want you dammit !" He yelled walking out and slamming the door behind him as I sighed and then stupidly followed him outside into the cold.

"Is that why you were willing to kill a helpless old lady? To get me ?"

"If it made you open your eyes than yes !"

"You're sick Derek !"

"So I've heard." He mumbled , getting into the coach gesturing me to follow him. It only took me a glance back at Miss Grace inside trembling to know I had no choice in this. We stayed silient as the coach took us back to the palace.

"I guess you'll be starving me for another 12 days now huh ?" I said breaking the silience.

"You know what Elena , starvation's too good for you. I'M too good for you. "

"Then let me go dammit !"

"Man you really are stupid ! I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE ! Do you hear me !? "

"Then you're an even bigger idiot than I thought. " I said crossing my arms and looking out of the window. When we arrived at the palace there were two gaurds waiting outside for us , I knew this was going to be bad the moment I stepped foot onto the palace grounds.

What is he going to do to her !? Any guesses !? Hope you all enjoyed thank you so much for reading. Remember to leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Until next time,  keep howling my wolves 🐺❤