𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐜

a little girl huddled under a bush, crying quietly as the rain pelts down all around.

her parents have just argued, yet again. such a sound hurts her so much these days even at this age, she'd rather be listening to the roaring rain outside than her parents screaming obscenities at each other.

if only, she thinks to herself miserably, she had a sister, or a friend to share this pain with. but burdening anyone else with this could be cruel.

"hey, are you okay?"
a soft, delicate hand lands on her arm. the little girl looks up to see a young woman crouched by her bush, her face so perfect it could easily be that of a doll.

"my mama and papa are arguing again," the little girl sniffles, wiping away her tears with the back of her hand. "the noise hurts my head sometimes, so i had to go somewhere."

"don't you have any friends you can talk to about it?" asks the pretty lady sympathetically.

the little girl shakes her head. "i don't really have any."

"hey, well i'll be your friend," offers the lady. "what's your name?"

the little girl's jaw drops. "r- really? my name is angel," she says quickly. "what's yours?"

"my name is crybaby," says the woman gently,

enveloping angel's small hands in her own.

"you'll be safe from now on. don't you worry."