𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

"do you think robin's funeral was anything like this?" clara whispered to her crybaby doll, which was lying stiff in her lap, lifeless and porcelain.

the church was even darker and bleaker than usual. the whole of clara's extended family had gathered into the pews, along with family friends and a few other people she didn't recognise.

the service was dragging on. it seemed that every single person in the church had more than just a few words to say about grandmother lizzy, and clara just wanted it to end.

"sit still," mama hissed from next to clara.

"when will it be over?" clara muttered.

"soon," replied mama for the fifth time.

clara rolled her eyes and turned to angel,
who was on the other side of her.

"soon," angel echoed.

a frown formed on the little girl's face as she slumped against the back of the pew in defeat.

eventually, much to clara's relief, the funeral drew to a close and the occupants of the church made their way to one of clara's aunts' homes down the street, where the wake was to take place.

all of clara's cousins were far older than her, all grown up, and angel kept avoiding her. clearly her older sister could sense that a conversation about robin was overdue.

"mama, why isn't papa here?" clara asked her mother, disturbing her from conversation with greying, middle aged women. "grandmother was his mama. if i have to be here and i barely knew her, why isn't he?"

"your papa... couldn't make it," replied mama. "now, go find a way to entertain yourself without disturbing anyone else."

clara had no intentions of doing any such thing, but she nodded silently and left her mother in peace, leaving in pursuit of angel instead.

angel was also engaged in conversation, discussing academic subjects with some of their cousins.
paying no heed to this, clara grabbed angel's hand and tugged on it.

"when are you gonna give me answers?" she asked loudly.

angel bent down to clara's height, and whispered quietly in her ear.
"i told you, not here. i'll explain when i have time, okay? it's a long story."

"not good enough," replied clara innocently, skipping away. she looked down at the crybaby doll in her arms, a smile taking over her face as she came up with an idea;

without a second thought, she climbed up onto the big dining table in the centre of the room; its surfaces were entirely covered with buffet food that was yet to be eaten. clara carelessly kicked a few plates piled high off the edge of the table. they landed on the floor and shattered, catching the attention of those who hadn't already noticed the young girl gone rogue, and the aunt who had made the food let out a pained gasp.

"i need you all to listen to me, and answer me honestly," clara yelled in frustration. "who murdered my little brother robin? what do you all know that i don't?"

the room erupted into shocked and angered murmuring. everyone instinctively parted as a fuming, red-faced mama came storming over to the table which clara was stood on, closely followed by angel.

"we're going home. right now," mama breathed.

for the first time in her life, clara felt no fear as she was threatened by her mother's wrath. this time, she was in control; she had the knowledge, and she had the power.

this feeling wouldn't last for long.