𝐭𝐞𝐧

the next morning, clara was sat at the breakfast table with mama again. it felt so much like yesterday that last night might as well have never happened.

but it did. clara knew it did,
and she wanted mama to know she knew.

"mama," clara started, as uncertainly as she had the day before.

"not now, clara," snapped mama harshly.

"mama, this is important," clara stated, using the table to help her stand up onto her chair, nearly the height of her mother, with crybaby tucked under her arm.

"today isn't the day for you to play up, child," mama groaned, rubbing a hand against her temple.

"this is important," clara repeated.

"your grandmother has passed away!" snapped mama,

at the same moment that clara screamed,

"i know robin is my brother!"

both of them looked at the other in shock.

"...grandmother?"

"...robin?"

"what happened to grandmother?" clara asked quietly, her small hand wrapping around crybaby's smaller porcelain doll one tightly.

"she passed away during her sleep. she was an old woman," explained mama. her voice was barely a whisper, and her eyes looked as though they were about to start crying.

"and... robin?"

mama looked away from clara.

"robin... also passed away. when he was a very little boy. you were too young to remember, and your papa, angel and i agreed to never talk of it."

clara nodded numbly, and slowly sat back down.

there was a pause, in which mama appeared to be recollecting herself.

"now," clara's mother said briskly. "go change into a dress, and be ready for midday. we're headed to your grandmother's house. your papa will already be there."

mama stood up and walked out of the room,

leaving clara staring down at her crybaby doll with wide brown eyes.