Chapter Eighteen: I don't even know

Start from the beginning

Knowing her, that would only make this situation worse.

So I keep my mouth shut as I watch Tami try and talk to her. She doesn't get anywhere, and while Macy is staring at her bowl to avoid looking at us, Tami gives us an exasperated look.

A few more moments pass, before Macy slams her fork down on the table. It takes us all by surprise.

"Would you stop staring at me?" she practically yells, looking at each one of us. Her eyes meet mine, and I swear I see something along the lines of disappointment. I don't get to investigate further because she closes her eyes and shakes her head slightly, before she stomps out of the dining room and back to her room.

We're all in shock for a moment, but Carter says what we're all thinking.

"What the hell just happened?" Unfortunately, no one has an answer.

Conversation goes on around me, but I don't listen. All I can picture is her, looking at me like she's disappointed. Maybe I expected resentment, fear, or maybe anger, but not disappointment.

I tune back into the conversation going on around me when I hear Carter and Hunter arguing over something.

"This is your fault, you know that right," Carter says to Hunter.

"Wait, how is any of this my fault?"

"You and Tami are practically her best friends, and you can't even talk to her," Carter shrugs.

"Don't pin this on us!" Hunter defends. "At least we tried."

"Without much success."

"You haven't done anything, so I don't think you have any room to talk."

"Guys, calm down," Trenton says, always the more reasonable one. By now though, he should know that when it comes to Hunter and Carter arguing, there isn't any use in trying to interfere. They argue all the time; it's just what brothers do. "I think we can all agree that this is Cayton's fault."

"My fault?" I ask incredulously. They all nod, obviously agreeing with Trenton that this is my fault. "How is this my fault?"

"You're the one who waited to tell her. And when you did, you scared the shit out of her by shifting in her room," Carter says.

"I had to! She thought I was crazy!"

"Maybe you could have let it sink in before doing that," Trenton says. Everyone starts adding their input about how I'm the one at fault. Really, you can't blame anyone and it pisses me off that they think it's my fault.

Finally, I put my foot down. "That's enough!" Immediately, they all shut up. "Enough of who's to blame. It isn't going to solve anything. Tami, Hunter, Carter is right. You guys are her best friends. Go up there and talk to her. At least find out what she thinks."

I could do it myself, but I have a feeling I'm the last person she wants to see right now.

*Macy's POV*

"Damn it!" I throw the pillow against the wall, before letting out a frustrated groan. I just had to look at Cayton, didn't I? See those freaking blue eyes, full of pain and longing.

It made me want to run straight to him and forget all of the problems. But I couldn't just let them go that easily, could I? I mean yes, it would be an easy solution to just give in and do exactly what my heart is telling me to do. But my brain reminds me that he hurt me.

He lied, kept secrets, and no once has he tried talking to me. Has he given up on me? Or is he just freaking clueless?

Let's be honest though, I'm beyond clueless. So there is no doubt he is too.