Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"I thought I would forewarn you, brother dear. We are due to be rescued shortly. We were sent a message about an hour ago. We have some friends who will inevitably try to play white knights. I have known our rescuers for centuries and care for them a great deal," I said.

Elijah closed his eyes, as if my request was costing him a great deal, and released a sigh. "As long as you and the doppelganger remain safe - I will spare them. You will be explaining your existence to me, Elandra. I do not like being in the dark. I also find myself curious about how you have managed to keep yourself alive and hidden for centuries," he said, a flash of betrayal in his eyes.

I felt a stab of pain in my chest and squeezed his arm reassuringly. Elena gripped onto my shoulder, pulling me against her chest, and I patted her hand.

"I haven't really been living for centuries 'Lijah, if I had, I would have contacted you - that I can promise. It's a dark and complicated matter, best to be discussed in complete privacy," I said, my words haunted by the truth of my past.

It was going to be difficult revealing my curse to him. It was always a tough topic, but discussing it with the Mikaelsons was so much harder. Rebekah and Kol were proof of that. Neither of them had taken it well. I could feel my sister's warm breath on my shoulder and was suddenly glad she was there. She was someone who knew me as I was now; just Elara. My past self and the history surrounding her didn't matter to Elena. It was nice.

Elijah nodded, kissing my knuckles. "I trust you, Lannie. It can wait until we are alone," he whispered.

My brother pulled us toward the front of the house and Elena tugged at the lace of my dress, her fingernail damaging the delicate fabric. I quickly reminded myself that the dress was already ruined, and glanced back at her - forcing the annoyance from my face.

"Was it smart to tell him about Stefan and Damon?" she whispered as if that would stop Elijah from hearing her.

I rolled my eyes and squeezed her hand. "He keeps his word, Elena; he won't hurt them. We just have to be firm with the boys and make sure they understand that for now, we are going with Elijah. It's not a permanent thing; he will take us home. But we have plans to make and a ritual to discuss," I said.

A soft and tired expression overcame her face and she wrapped her arm around mine. "Okay, as long as we stay together," she said.

We stopped at the front door and a loud crash - the sound of shattering glass - came from the floor above us. Elijah froze, his hand on the doorknob, and I released him.

"It's the Salvatores, they are vampires, but quite young. They only want to help us," I explained.

I took Elena's shoulder and pressed her against the door next to my brother. "Stay!" I said, my tone brokering no argument.

Elijah stepped into the center of the room, his hands in his pockets - and glanced up the stairs. "Excuse me. To whom it may concern, you're making a great mistake if you think you can beat me. You can't. Do you hear me?" he said.

He walked back to where I had left Elena and picked up the coat rack standing beside her - snapping it in half against his knee. He tossed one end of it to the floor and headed back into the middle of the entryway. He held the makeshift stake next to him, his cold and deadly stare focused on the upper level of the house. "I repeat, you cannot beat me. So leave now and I will let you live another day. The girl and my sister belong to me, and my family. Do we understand each other?" he said, brandishing the sharp end of the broken rack.

I stepped up beside my irate Original brother, and placed a hand on the coat rack turned stake. He slowly lowered it, but kept his eyes on the stairs in front of us. I turned toward the stairs and released a tired breath.