Chapter Ten

***Hello ya'all, I wasn't planning on updating again until Monday, but when I went to write the next chapter this came out. Its a filler with a small view of one of Ellie's past lives. So please make sure you tell me what you think of it, if ya like it, I may add more scenes from her past. You will still get another update Monday, so no fear. I know this is chapter is a lot smaller than what I usually post but as I said, it's a bit of a filler. Review, review, review. Thanks, guys, enjoy! This chapter has been edited by my Beta Casey***

The sun shone brightly as I laid in the soft grass. I shielded my eyes with my hands and looked up at the blue sky. The only clouds in sight were thin wisps of fluff, proof that it would remain a beautiful day. The heaviness of my thick purple dress the only thing stopping me from climbing the plush trees surrounding me. I've always thought it so unfair that women were limited by such outrageous attire, especially in the stifling heat that accompanied this time of year. I removed my hand from my face when a rustling met my ears. I sat up slowly, once again hating the ridiculous corsets I was required to wear and looked past the trees. I prayed the intruder was just an animal, and not one of my prankster little brothers.

"Joseph, Gerald?" I called.

When I wasn't met with an answer, I used the nearest tree to gain an aerial view. I brushed the grass and dirt from my gown and climbed into the trees and casually glanced around me. I was still unsure of what, or who, had made the noise, and I was starting to worry. It was only last year that I turned 16 and remembered the many lives I lived before this one. It had been a wake-up call to finally know what dangers lie in the shadows. From that point on, I made sure to stay aware of my surroundings. I stopped in my tracks when a stick broke behind me. My heart sped up, and I placed my shaking hands at my side.

"Hello?" I called out.

I turned in a circle, my newfound magic crackling quietly in my palm. I was untrained in the art of magic and tried to keep myself under control. I was afraid someone would find out and hunt me down, so I pulled my hands against my chest and took a deep breath. I struggled to control my emotions, it wouldn't be smart to lash out and reveal myself.

I turned around and stared into the empty woods. I couldn't see anyone or anything, but that didn't mean I wasn't being followed. I started to back up until I hit something hard and warm. I let out a startled scream and spun around, causing myself to trip and fall back. I threw my hands out in an attempt to catch myself, and a warm, sweaty hand grabbed mine. I was pulled back against the chest of whomever I had run into. I pushed away and stomped my heeled shoe against their foot. I grasped the bottom of my dress and started to run towards the manor, hoping I would find a servant near the entrance of our property. I could hear the person I hit, a male by the sound of their voice, crying out in pain.

"Elandra, wait! Please, I'm sorry!"

I slowed my retreat and turned towards the familiar voice. Damon was leaning against a tree, his dark suit splattered with mud and dirt. He had one leg lifted from the ground and a pained expression on his face. I dropped my gown with a small nervous giggle.

"Damon?" I asked.

I ran towards him, grabbing my fan from the pocket of my gown. I smacked his arm with it repeatedly,

"You- nearly- scared- me- to- death," I growled, enunciating each word with a hard smack to his upper arm.

He attempted to shield himself with his hands and step backward away from me but failed miserably.

"Ah, Elandra! I apologize — I didn't mean to frighten you,"

I huffed in a mixture of annoyance and exhaustion, my restrictive gown making the physical exertion of lashing out at Damon extremely difficult. I placed my hands on my hips and stared him down. His raven black hair was wet with perspiration and sticking to his forehead. His eyes were as blue as the sky as he stared at me pleadingly. This silly man was impossible to stay angry with. I bit my lip, trying to keep an annoyed expression on my face instead of the smile that threatened to escape. I obviously wasn't fairing very well, because his pleading appearance lifted into a bright and cheerful smile. He knew all too well that he was my greatest weakness, and he could get away with almost anything.