Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Elijah glared at Rose and she backed away, lowering her head. I was simply amazed by the way they were reacting to Elijah. It was obvious that they saw him as an Alpha, and because of that, they bowed to his every whim. If we had been in the room with Niklaus and a pack of werewolves, I could have better understood it, but this was just Elijah and a few lesser vampires. Although, fear is a powerful tool and the Originals have always known just how to wield it.

"Please, I beg you - forgive me," Trevor said, his hands raised and eyes lowered.

Elijah straightened, pulling his gaze from the blood on Trevor's collar, and adjusted his jacket. "So granted," he said.

Trevor took a deep breath, his shoulders sagging. He had the chance for one final relieved smile before Elijah took his head off with an abrupt swipe of his hand. I watched in fascinated horror as Trevor's severed head dropped to the floor, rolling around in a pool of thick bright red. Rose's mournful scream of shock bounced off the walls, echoing around the room, and I winced - my eardrums throbbing. She raised quivering hands in front of her mouth as she leaned forward, her body giving way to grief. She wrapped her arms around her middle as if she were attempting to hold herself together. I felt Elena jerk in my arms, and I held her tighter, shushing her as she started to cry. I was grateful that she had missed what Elijah had done, as shocking and insanely impressive as it had been. Elijah stepped over Trevors still rotating head and removed a white handkerchief from his jacket pocket. He cleaned his hands and the small flecks of blood that dotted the sleeves of his suit.

"You!" Rose cried, anger building on her beautiful face.

Elijah lifted his hand, the slightly bloodied handkerchief clasped firmly in its grasp, and narrowed his eyes. "Don't, Rose, now that you are free," he warned.

Rose sucked in a deep calming breath, her chest shaking with rage, and slowly nodded. I could see the pure hatred burning in her eyes, and despite the love, I had for my brother, I couldn't say he hadn't earned it. Elijah stuffed the handkerchief in his pocket and held out his hand to me, his previously cold eyes softening just a hint.

"Come, sister," he said.

With a nod, I gently pried Elena from my chest and connected with her wet orbs. "Elena, it is time to go. We will be safe with Elijah. You said you trusted me, and I promised we would work together. Is that still the plan?" I asked, leaving room for her to make her own decision.

Elena shakily held onto my arms, and glanced between me and my brother. I could see something settle in her. "You can't leave me, Elara. You promised you would stay with us," she said.

I nodded and placed a hand on her damp cheek. "I know, you also said you wouldn't make me choose - so don't. Let's stay together; we can do all of this as sisters. We can be a team, can't we? We used to be close before things changed," I said.

Elena reached up and removed my hand, entwining her fingers with mine. "I won't let them take you, so we do this together. I lost our parents, I won't lose anyone else," she said, turning to Elijah. "I know you need me for the ritual, but before I agree, I have conditions," she said, her tiny voice firm.

Elijah's eyes widened and he glanced at me. I placed my unoccupied hand on my forehead and bit my bottom lip.

"Elijah my sister, the current doppelganger, is a stubborn one." I turned to Elena and motioned toward the staircase. "Let us discuss your conditions in a more hospitable environment, hmm? I said.

Elijah extended his hand again, and I accepted. Elena's grip never loosened as we were lead past Rose - who sported a guilty expression as her eyes shined on Elena. She probably thought I would betray her, and in the end, she would be nothing but another decaying doppelganger. I tapped on my brother's elbow as we approached the top of the stairs - remembering Bonnies' message. I didn't want the Salvatores to get themselves killed trying to save us when we no longer needed it. Elijah shot me a curious look and I smiled, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear.