Chapter 5

Lightning flashed overhead and lit the whole forest.  Eerie yellows and greys.  Claw-like branches arched into the sky.  Old leaves littered the muddy ground.  My hands soaked by rain, slipping from the gnarled branch I had between myself and a large black werewolf.

Its fur glistened but not from rain.  Deep red streaks covered its fur.  Claws dripped the dark red.  Its jaw too.  What have I gotten myself into!  I tried to move, to scream.  To do anything.  My body wouldn't move.  Its eyes were cold and shone in the storm.  Steadily it began to circle me.  I was now the rabbit, and this wolf was hungry.  Dammit Cass what did the bestiary say about Werewolves?! Silver... keep eyes on it?  Oh Damn I can't remember!

Tttttattattataaaatttataaaaa. 

I hadn't realized my teeth were chattering so loudly.  Was this how I would end?  NO! I have to get back home, my adventure has just begun! Raising as much courage as I could, I tried to steady my now violently shaking legs and keep the werewolf in sight.  Fur bristling and powerful muscles shifting easily in lithe movements.  Teeth like daggers glinted in the abrupt flashes of lightning.  It was just like him.  Last time.  No get that thought out of your head Cass. The jerk is gone. Now its about surviving.  

In a flash it sprung at me.  I hadn't realized it had even tensed.

"Eskel!" A shriek tore from my lips.  

Desperately I dove to the right but I underestimated its large paws.  Claws flew around and slashed at my side.  Red.  My head was swimming but I had been miraculously caught by a low thorn bush.  Remember your training Cass.  Stand firm and swing hard.  Steadying myself I squared off with the wolf-man.  Snarling it snapped its jaw. Crooked teeth in a uglier face.   Running it jump at me.

The flash of lighting illuminating its arms raised above its head--ready to bring them down.  Claws ready to slash me open.  I swung with the thick branch and felt my boots give out on the mud.  Down into the ground I rolled.  My jacket arm viciously ripped apart.  Pieces of blue cloth littered the forest.

I stood quickly, sending another shot of pain into my head and turned to face the monster.  Its hulking form was clearly not a problem in hindering it.  Damn it is fast.  Just as I regained my stance it was beside me.  Slashing at me with ebony nails.  Not fast enough to counter I was sent flying.

Snap. My head collided with a nearby tree.  My arm twisted oddly under my body.  Spasms of pain shot through.  A warm sticky wetness began to spread from my side.  My clothes now soaked through by rain and blood.

I reached for my branch that had been sent flying out of my hand.  Just a few inches and I'll have it.  I strained.  The werewolf leaned forward and started to charge at me.  Thunder clapped. Crack!  My branch snapped clean in half.  The werewolf stumbled backwards a half-step.

I tried to get up, but it was already over top of me.  Raising its claws again it flung me across the clearing.  Its just toying with me. The thought crossed my head as I crumpled into the torn up earth.  Emptily I scraped at the mud trying to find a way up to run.  Its just like last time.  Just like the final time when I was with him. My breath hitched in my throat.  I had flown then too.  More glass.  Less lightning.

Thick tears blurred what was left of my vision.  I tried to throw clumps of dirt and rocks at the beast.  Nothing was slowing the behemoth down.  As if laughing it seized me by my neck violently jerking me into the air.  What little air was in my lungs squeezed out from bolts of pain.  I could feel the warm blood already down to my thigh.  I tried again to call out for help only to have a weak gurgle escape my lips.