Chapter 10 - Bad Idea

"Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost."
― Kahlil Gibran

NATHAN

I paced the semi-soundproof room with hands in my pocket. While six other men sat and watched the activity behind the transparent glass barrier with fascination, I worried about a woman. Having her in my home was a bad idea. I could barely restrain myself around her, how did I plan to handle her staying over or even, keep her hidden without 'the devil getting word?

I supressed all thoughts of her to focus on the last phase of our work. At four P.M, we rounded up the secure glass test.

Removing the noise cancelling earmuffs, I shook hands with the Asian clients who smiled ear to ear. The 32mm glass with a silver finish, withstood two hours of bullets before it flexed, breaking the record of the best glass in the market. They'd return by Monday to seal the deal, one that would see 'Foxtrap' produce and supply the glass for the new 40 stories hotel in Abuja.

My best friend, Patrick also the engineer in charge of the project shook one of the happy clients then walked to me with a wide grin and hugged me, patting my back heavily.

"We did it man!"

"All thanks to you, brother!"

"You can say that again." He gave a loud belly laugh, grabbed my arms in an elbow handshake and hugged me again. His excitement knew no bounds, a year and half of research finally paid off.

We chatted with the team for a while, before I, Patrick, my cousin― Oche who was in operations and my friend― Tochi― an engineer involved in the project all drove in our separate cars to have a late lunch at the restaurant down the street.

We talked over a meal of Jellof rice and fish grill. Patrick had never been a fan of Annabelle but, with the presence of two other company staff, I refrained from talking about Enitan's pregnancy or her being at my house. Some other time, when we're done with pressing business issues and alone. Fatigued and anxious to see Enitan, I turned down their offer to stay out for more drinks. I bade them goodnight and drove home.

***
At nine P.M, I parked inside the garage of my apartment. I stayed back in the car to take a breather and plan every topic of discussion. As I alighted, I heard loud music coming from the next house, my silly neighbour was having one of those wild Friday home parties that usually ended in someone getting arrested.

I made it upstairs, half jogging. Walking straight to my room, I was a tad bit disappointed I didn't find her inside.

I freshened up, then changed into a pair of brown cargo shorts and grey t-shirt. I sat on my bed and went through my messages, there were a few as many people didn't have access to my new number. One of the messages from a new number caught my attention.

13:24 Hey Sugar, I hate what you're doing. You won't even reply my mails. I had to promise your sister the entire galaxy before she gave me your new number.

13:25 And oh, try to get in touch with the wedding planner, she'd go crazy if she doesn't know what color of tie you'll be wearing.

18:00 Shouldn't you be done with work by now? Why are you not texting back?

19:30 Our wedding is just by the corner and you won't even talk to me.

20:00 By God, if you don't reply my messages, I'll drive down to your house and make you talk to me.

The hell! Not with Enitan here. So I replied her.

Annabelle, we really need to talk, but I'll let you know when. Feel free to take care of all wedding preparations. Goodnight. 21:25