A Rival?

Request by @Dollmakker
This is my first time taking a request, I hope it turns out okay, haha.

It was an eventful Saturday as it was the youngest Yugi's birthday. The Yugi family were on their way to the Aoi household, the birthday boy sing-songing and giggling in his car seat.

"Are we there yet, are we there yet?" Kyu squealed inquisitively. Naturally anyone would be super excited about going to their birthday party but that wasn't the only reason he was so exhilarated. It may or may not have to do with knowledge that he was on his way to his best friend, Murasaki's house. And that they shared the same birthday. It was sheer coincidence really, but maybe it meant "a little more" as Aoi would put it, despite Akane insisting that his daughter didn't need "a little more" of anything at the innocent age of seven-going-on-eight.

The blond sighed, slightly irritated by Kyu's enthusiasm as she was busy reading through the editor's notes on her most recent manuscript and the child's loudness was not helping her revise (she was already running awfully late for her next deadline). "I understand that you just can't wait to get there Kyurei, but mommy really has to finish this. It would really help if you could be a bit quieter."

Kyu deflated, pouting. "Fine!"

"Thank you sweetie!"

Amane looked at his son through the rear view mirror. "We're almost there, my little birthday wolf, just a few more minutes."

"Come to think of it, isn't Tsukasa coming over too?" Nene wondered out loud. An uneasy feeling settled in the two adult's stomachs. Ever since the twin's falling out last year when Tsukasa was in a very unstable mental space, things have been teetering between them. It had started with the younger twin wanting to kill Amane then escalated to wanting to kill himself. Thank goodness someone had called for help before anything were to have happened. After about a year in therapy and counseling at a mental health hospital, he had been released and was to go to weekly checkups.

Amane started to feel sick while recalling what had happened. It had all gone so fast, not quite recovering from the shock of the events. His heart clenched at the thought of what could've happened to either of them if help had arrived even a minute too late. His wife brought him out of his nightmare, rubbing the man's shoulder soothingly. She herself was quite unsettled but was hopeful that everything would be okay now.

"Ah the others are supposed to be there too! It's gonna be like the old days!" Nene changed the subject, overjoyed that she was going to see all her friends.

By the "others" she meant Sakura and Natsuhiko (who were now living together, Sakura insisting there's nothing going on between them), Tsuchigomori and Yako who had been married for a long time now, and Kou (who was now a PE teacher at Komome Academy and shared an apartment with a certain cute, pink haired boy), and Mitsuba who was dragged against his will to see his quote-on-quote "lame friends".

As the house came into view, the brunette breathed calmly and thought about how fun it was going to be with everyone again. Amane parked the car in the driveway, saying, "look where we are, Kyu! We made it!"

The birthday boy didn't have to be told twice, jumping out of the car and nearly falling on his face as he zoomed up to the door. No matter how hard he tried to reach the doorbell, his tippy toes could only get him so high up.

"So close!" Kyu thought and just as his little finger grazed the button of the doorbell the door swung open, revealing a man he was unfamiliar with. However, upon closer inspection the unfamiliar became a bit too familiar.

"Daddy?"

The man who looked like Amane giggled. "No, I'm your uncle Tsukasa!"

The face the child made was one of clear befuddlement. "Uncle?"