Chapter - 4 The Offer!!

She finally decided to ask the question that was bugging her mind for the past one week.
"Are you going to fire me?"

"Is that what you want?"

"Of course not!"

"So the kiss was just a mistake."

"Yes." she nodded her head as if just the words weren't enough for him to understand.

He looked at her for a moment and then turned around and started to walk away. She let out a sigh of relief but then suddenly he turned around and with his hands on either side of her head on wall she was trapped. Again!

Left with no where to go, she blinked at him, nervous and surprised. He brought his face close to her ear and said in a low voice,"Do you know Miss Evangeline Rose, good girls never lie. Did you really think that I will believe your stupid reason about that kiss?"

Eva's ears turned red. His breath was fanning her ear and she wasn't sure if it was because she was caught lying or that he was standing way too close to her but her knees were feeling weak. Then he brought his face close to hers and looking into her eyes he continued,"So Miss Evangeline Rose, never lie to me ever again because I don't like liars. Ok?"

"O-ok." she stammered.

His blue green eyes stared into her surprised and bewildered brown pair for a minute and then he stood straight. With his hands in the pocket of his trousers, he looked at her and said,"So Miss Rose, if you want to continue working here you will have to agree to two of my conditions."

"And what are they?"she asked.

"First you will never play truth and dare game with your colleagues or anyone else."

" Ok." I have vowed that to myself long ago. I played once and landed in trouble. I am not a fool to do it again.'

"Second, since I was away from the company for a long time a lot of work has piled up and it's becoming difficult for my secretary to handle all that alone. And I don't want to burden him more than this. So you will be his assistant and will help him with his work."

"What? You are asking me to be your secretary's assistant?"

"Everyone in this company already have enough on their plate while you..."

'Does he mean I do nothing?' Eva could feel her anger bubbling. 'Does he even know I hardly sit for 10 minutes during my working hours because all the while I have to run errands for them and do half of their work, taking out printouts, checking their calculations etc.'

"I know you do your best."he continued. "But from now on you just have to dedicate your time to help out my secretary."

She chewed nervously on her lower lip. She had found this job due to the old man's kindness, Arthur Richardson whom she had met accidentally. He had dropped his medicine and she had to run all the way after his car to return them  but in the process she had lost her chance for the interview of a job vacancy. But old man was kind enough to offer her this temporary job. If she lost this job then she wasn't sure when will she be able to find the next one.

"But I - I don't really have any experience and what if I messed up. I don't want to make things difficult for you."

"I have already seen your résumé. You   GPA is good. I don't know why you are doing this-"

"Because I couldn't find work anywhere else as there were no placements or internships. No vacancies in short. So when I was offered this job I agreed to do it and I like it here."

"So you have the qualifications. And you know how to use a computer, type mails and manage calls?"

"Yes."