"What did the kid do?"Dakota asks a smile stretching across his face.

"He had this snarky look on his face the whole time and his friends cheered him on."I answer.

"He reminds me of my brother"Dakota goes on.

"Is your brother a bratty sixth grader?"I ask him easing an eyebrow.

"No,but he is a brat."Dakota remarks."maybe you know him."

"Maybe I do,what's his name?"I ask him.

"He goes to the same school as you."Dakota goes on,"his names A-"he cuts himself off.Shaking his head."It doesn't matter."He says his features no longer showing happiness but instead he was right back to the way he was.

"Dakota?"I place my hand on top of his in hopes he'll warm up to me again."What happened?"I ask not just wondering what happened to his brother and him but what happened to change his mood.

"I got in a car crash,remember?"He chuckles turning to face me.

"Well I know that."I roll my eyes at hi laughing along with him.

   He goes to say something but before he can a knock sounds on the door.

"Who is that?"He asks curiously,

"This is your room,"I remind him."you tell me."

"You're the only one I knew was coming."He assured.

"Maybe it's-"I don't get to finish my sentence when the door gets pushed open to reveal Emily.

"Hey Katie,"Emily waves at me before looking a Dakota,"hi Dakota,"she greets but instead Dakota looks at the wall like the a stone sculpture,I feel his hand tighten around mine and look down.

Our hands were still in the same place and I hadn't even realized it.His hands bigger then mine looked like they were swallowing them.

I look up at Emily and see her staring at our entwined hands to before looking up at me and smirking.

"What are you doing here,Em?"I ask finally.

"Searching for you."She says as if it weren't obvious."We need to get going."She nods her head in the

"Going?"I ask confused as to what she meant,it felt like I had just gotten here."Going where?"I ask.

"You're supposed to be helping me out up the decorations for homecoming,remember?"She answers and in the back of my head a memory of her ranting into the phone about how much work was needed before the winter gala plays in my head.

"Oh right!"I agree.

"I'll wait for you in your car."She says before making her way to the door."hurry."and with that the door closes behind her.

"Homecoming,huh?"Dakota starts I turn to him smiling giving him a shrug.

"She's part of student government."I explain."And me being her best friend means I help her with stuff I'd rather not help her with."I lean back in my chair.

"Do you have a date?"He asks wiggling his eyebrows playfully.

"Are you asking to be my date?"I ask joking around just the way he was.

"Maybe I am."He continues on a sly looking smirk playing on his face."But then again,maybe not."

"Fair enough."I laugh a little liking how casual everything had gotten.

"You should get going."He says after a while of silence."Wouldn't want to keep your friend waiting."

"I'll see you soon."I promise standing from my seat.I take his file in my hand as I stand not realizing me and him where still holding hands till he didn't let go.