viii

When I'm working I tend to focus on the little things.Like the tissue the kid dropped under the table by accident when he went to pick up his donut.Or how the old lady spilled her coffee the slightest bit and then went forward to wipe it off even though she didn't need to.

I let out a yawn my elbows resting the the counter propping my arm up so a side of my face rested in my hands.

"You look tired."Michelle says slipping underneath the counter with an empty tray in her hands.

"I am."I mumble turning to face her."why is it so slow to day?"I ask in reference to how quiet and barren the coffee shop was today.

"Monday madness."She shrugs."hey you won't mind waiting the tables would you?"She asks hopefully I turn my head in her direction staring at the smile she displayed and the raised eyebrow.

"What else do I have to live for?"I laugh out taking the pan and notepad from her hands and ducking underneath the counter before standing up on the other side of the counter.

"That's the spirit."She chimes behind me as I walk off.

I was half way through the tables when the door chimed.Normally when the door chimes I wouldn't bother looking up but today my instincts told me to take a peak of who it was.

And in walked the two men from yesterday.Was this going to be their daily?

They head straight to the vacant booth at the very back of the store just like they did the day before.

"Katie."Michele calls from behind me just as I'm about to turn around to head back towards the counter.

"What's up?"I ask taking in how she's rushing to button up her coat and her phone is gripped tightly in her hands.

"It's my mom."She states as I get closer to her."I need to go."I nod my head in understanding.

"I'll take your shift,"I confirm knowing this was what she was asking without legit asking for it."go."I give her a small smile when she gives me the look of gratitude.

"Thanks you so much."She pulls me into half a hug with one arm before rushing out.

"Drive save."I call out quickly just before she dashed away.

Guess I'm going to be here till closing today.

Fun.

It was a good twenty minutes after Michele left.And the coffee shop was still pretty vacant.The two goon like men were still occupying the booth in the back.They'd spent the majority of their time complaining about how 'he' (which I'm guessing is Alex) is late and looking out the booth window to see if they could spot Alex.

I was flipping through one of the magazines under the counter,whilst standing near the coffee machines and blenders.It was a fairly old seventeen magazine dating back to April 2009.

My eyes flickered from article to article.It wasn't until my ears caught the sound of the bell littering did I look up.In walked Alex with his hair damp from the rain.His jacket was coated in tiny droplets of water.He wore a look of anger and business on his face.

He didn't bother looking my way and just walked to the last booth were he resumed the same seat he had the other night.

I don't pay attention to the booth that much and go back to the magazine.Up until a whistle goes off minutes later.

"Yo,waitress."I hear a shout.I cock my head and my gaze fixes on the last booth.It just had to be them didn't it.

I let out an internal grown as the bald man waves me over while Alex doesn't so much as flicker his gaze on me but continues to keep his line of sight on the other man who was still talking.