epilogue

SEASONS HAD PASSED and a beautiful tiger-furred she-cat sorted the herbs in the medicine cave in the Pride's camp. Beside her, a white tom with black paws was sorting more. He looked up with big blue eyes. The tiger-furred she-cat then placed the mint back into it's section in the wall. "And that's what happened to my ancestors."

Bluepaw looked at her with wide eyes. "That's horrible."

"It is quite the horror-love story, isn't it?" Redclaw asked. "Many cats here have been told what Redriver looked like, and they say I look exactly like he did."

"That's sort of scary," Bluepaw admitted.

Redclaw let out an amused purr. "I'm a medicine cat," she mewed. "I am not expected to fight and kill ruthlessly as Redriver. I don't even want to."

"But you killed Deadflower."

Deadflower had been discovered in killing her sister, Goldspeckle, in the forest and abandoning her kits in the woods many moons ago. Redclaw found out during a fire and had pushed Deadflower in it.

"That's because she threatened to kill more cats," Redclaw meowed. "I couldn't let that stand. Redriver killed for sport. But he also killed to protect his family, like I did."

Bluepaw went silent, accepting her explanation.

"When you had your vision last night," he meowed thoughtfully. "Did you see Redriver or Mapleshade in StarClan?"

Redclaw froze. "No. No, they belong in the Dark Forest. Despite doing what was best for their family, they didn't belong in the stars."

From outside in the hollow camp, Stormstar stood on the High Rock. He looked like an exact replica of Stormsky. His mate, Goldwing, looked exactly like his mate, Cerci.

"It's strange," Bluepaw commented. "How come we've never seen any Clan cats?"

"Our Pride left the Clan territories a long time ago when they decided it was time to move beyond threats. We retreated into the mountains and found our precious hollow," Redclaw replied. "From then on, we only had peace despite traitor cats and dangerous predators. Other than that there are no thunderpaths, no monsters, Twolegs, kittypets or anything of the sort."

"It sounds safe," Bluepaw meowed. He then gathered up some alder bark. "I'm gonna go give these to Ratscar, she's complaining about tooth aches, again."

"Don't pay mind to her rude behaviour!"
"I know!"

Redclaw looked around at the camp.

The true descendants of Mapleshade and Redriver. Of ShadowClan, ThunderClan and RiverClan.