chapter 14: our bloody love

THEY TURNED AWAY from the harsh wind and sped through the grass toward Fourtrees. As he raced toward the clearing in the middle of the four great oaks where he had seen those fox-hearts. Seedpelt wondered grimly why Oakstar let them live in the first place.

The sun was high in the sky, and the clearing was crisscrossed with shafts of cold sunlight. He dug his paws into the soft ground and pushed on ahead of Deerdapple and Thrushtalon, his chest tightening with fear as he tore along the trail that led to the secret den that Mapleshade and Redriver always snuck inside of. Without hesitating, he ducked his head and raced through the lichen and vines.

"Mapleshade!" he yowled as she exploded into the den.

It was completely empty. Silence. No cat stirred, and the scent of cats was stale.

---

Dawn came with bright light when Mapleshade woke up. Her back had a dull ache and it was kind of itchy. She slowly sat up and looked around. She was laying on a comfortable nest of moss, hay, feathers and sheep wool. It was very comfortable and she made a satisfied purr. But Mapleshade noticed that Redriver and her kits were not in the barn.

She spotted Acornleaf nearby, scanning the small fresh-kill pile of shrews and a couple rabbits. Finally, the elder picked a rabbit and was about to lay down somewhere when she spotted Mapleshade, sitting up and awake.

Acornleaf dropped the rabbit and padded over. "You're finally awake!"

"How long have I been sleeping?" Mapleshade asked.

"A moon," Acornleaf croaked. "We thought you'd die. Turns out Perchpaw managed to dig his claws in some dangerous places that could have killed you. I'm so glad you're alive. I couldn't bare to lose another kit before I died."

Acornleaf's eyes dulled and Mapleshade knew she was thinking of Hawkclaw and Creamfrost. "I miss them, too," Mapleshade mewed and licked Acornleaf's cheek. "But we'll see them again in StarClan."

"I hope so."

Mapleshade looked around. "Where is Redriver and my kits?"

"Since you went into a coma, Redriver had been training the kits. He would be hunting with Patchpaw and Bloodpaw, now in WindClan territory."

Her kits had apprentice names. What else had she missed out on?

Acornleaf continued, pride shining in her eyes for her grandkits. "Larchpaw and Petalpaw are hunting in the river across from RiverClan. And Sandpaw and Firepaw are practicing battle moves outside the barn."

Knowing two of her precious kits were not too far, Mapleshade padded out of the barn, leaving Acornleaf alone to eat her breakfast. Mapleshade's eyes watered when she saw a sand-coloured tabby she-cat and a orange tabby tom practicing battle moves, claws sheathed.

As they battled, Firepaw saw his mother watching and excitement flashed in his eyes. "Mother--!"

Sandpaw, who didn't notice Mapleshade, landed on Firepaw with a war cry. "Oof!" Firepaw tasted dirt. "Get off me, Sandpaw!"
The she-cat looked up to see her mother and gasped. She leaped off of Firepaw and raced toward Mapleshade with a ecstatic squeal. She looked like she was about to barrel into her mother but thought about it mid-run and skidded to a halt before her. "You're awake!"

"I am," Mapleshade purred and nuzzled her daughter's head. "You've grown so big!"

Sandpaw purred happily and Firepaw came over to them.

"But I am even bigger!" Firepaw meowed proudly. "I am gonna be as tall as father one day!"

"I'm sure," Mapleshade agreed.