"What?" I cried.

"A lady-in-waiting is usually nobility, Cassie. She isn't her Princess's servant—she acts as a friend and companion. Yes, she does attend to her. You may help Calista with certain tasks, such as organizing some items of business for a soiree, but you are not a servant. You won't help her get dressed or bring her her food or clean her room. You will have servants of your own. You shall stay in a nice room in the palace, you'll dress in nice clothing everyday, and you'll dine with the royal party. You understand, this is a great honor Queen Klara is bestowing upon you. She isn't asking you to be a servant, she asking you to be like a noblewoman. I don't care what job you think you can find. You must accept this position. It will do more for you than anything else can, save an advantageous marriage."

My jaw hung open. "Wait, it's—it's really all that?"

"Yes," Nikolas said. "My mother has her ladies in waiting. I promise you, they are by no means servants."

"Holy crap," I breathed. "You mean, I'm going to be served if I become a lady-in-waiting?"

"Yes," he answered. "I am not sure why Queen Klara favors you so, but understand this—this is a clear sign of favor."

The next morning, I reconvened with Queen Klara to give her my answer on her, apparently very generous, offer

The next morning, I reconvened with Queen Klara to give her my answer on her, apparently very generous, offer. Once again, she told me to sit across from her, but this time her smile held a smirking undertone.

"So, Miss Carmichael, have you come to a decision?" she asked.

"I have, your majesty," I said. "I would be very honored to become Princess Calista's lady-in-waiting."

               "Excellent," Queen Klara clapped her hands together. "I am glad to hear it. Now, Calista's birthday is in two and a half weeks, wherein we shall have her debutante ball. In the meantime, I think you should ride out your duties as a maid for this week, and then next Monday, you'll officially begin your new position as a lady-in-waiting."

               Wow, I thought. This is all happening so fast.

"Before Calista's turns sixteen, we'll have to catch you up to speed. First, you'll need some new clothes, of course."

I decided not to tell her that her daughter's intended fiancé had already gifted me with several nice pieces.

"I'll also enroll you in classes that will teach you more about the monarchy and our current nobles, etiquette classes, and perhaps most importantly, a dance class to teach you some ballroom dancing."

"Wow!" I said. "Um, thank you! That's really nice of you."

"Of course," Queen Klara said. "It's only necessary, after all. I don't expect you to have a full wardrobe nor to be proficient in ballroom dance."

"Yes, but it's still very generous that you've even offered me the position," I said.

She merely smiled. "I appreciate your acceptance of the position."

But why? I wondered. Why would she grant someone like me with such an honorable and coveted position? It wasn't an accident, to be sure. It wasn't some last-minute decision she made on a whim. No, Queen Klara was far too calculated for something like that. When she made me Queen Maiden, I had been too scared to ask her why she would choose me, worrying that any questions might remind her of who I was and help her realize that I was a ridiculous choice. I knew better now—she would be fully aware of who I was, and there had to be a reason for it.

Maybe I'm secretly the heiress to some grand fortune, I thought. Or maybe the long lost Princess of Genovia or something like Anne Hathaway. Though, I highly doubted that. I looked too much like my parents and if we were secretly royalty we sure wouldn't be putting up with D.C. traffic everyday to open up shop.

"Ma'am," I began, asking the burning question. "Why would you ask someone like me to be one of Princess Calista's ladies-in-waiting? Someone who didn't even understand the significance and honor of the position? I'm just a servant—a nobody from America."

Queen Klara rose an eyebrow. "I'm surprised you would ask such a question. Perhaps I didn't realize your disqualifications before."

I remained stone faced. "With all due respect, your majesty, you aren't that dumb."

A side smile rose on the Queen's face, and she let out a soft chuckle. "You're quite right about that." Instead of answering my question, she started to leave the room, but she turned back and faced me just as she was leaving out of the door. "Miss Carmichael," she started. "In the end, nobody is truly a nobody. Just about every single person means something to someone; and if you are important to a person, that's what really matters, no? Trust me when I say, Miss Carmichael, that you aren't a nobody."

Well thanks for the freaking life lesson, I thought. And for NOT answering my question.

I decided to push the matter once more. "You still didn't answer my question," I said as she was turning away again.

She looked back and smiled haughtily. "Did I not?"