Chapter 41

When I pulled away, Luke was staring at me with wide eyes—I knew he had wanted to keep us a secret from Coleman, but I was more focused on Marstella in that moment. I smiled deviously, and still holding onto Luke's neck, and turned my head to stare at the devious red-head. Her jaw was tight and I felt as though her gaze was attempting to burn me, but at that moment I was fireproof.

Prince Coleman, on the other hand, did not look angry. He was clearly completely and utterly shocked. His jaw was dropped and his eyes were practically falling out of his head.

I turned back to Luke, and smiled at him sheepishly.

Oops, I thought. "I'll see you tonight!" I told him, and then scurried off in the other direction.

Oh no! Oh golly! Why did I do that? I wondered as I scampered around the corner. Luke didn't want Coleman to know! Why did I kiss him in front of the Prince? I just wanted Marstella to see us! This was a horrible idea!

My gut wrenched in guilt and anxiousness.

Luke is probably super mad at me! I thought. And who knows what the heck Coleman thinks!

I headed home shortly thereafter, as I was no longer in the mood to romp around Wethercross

I headed home shortly thereafter, as I was no longer in the mood to romp around Wethercross. Around 7pm, I heard a knock at my bedroom door just after I'd finished dinner.

It's Luke, I thought. I gulped. It was time to face the music. I had been practicing my speech to him about why I did it and explain that I was caught up in the moment and that it was either kiss Luke or kill Marstella and I didn't want to go to jail, because then our relationship would really be over if I was a convicted murder.

I got up from my bed and opened the door.

Oh heck no.

It was not Luke. It was someone much worse. Prince Coleman himself stood in my doorway, leaning against one side of the frame with his right arm above his head. He wore a white undershirt with the navy-blue pants he'd been wearing earlier today.

NO! GO AWAY! I wanted to scream.

"Prince Coleman?" I asked, feeling all the color drain from me. I'd expected that he wouldn't be thrilled about my kissing Luke and revealing our relationship, but I didn't think he'd show up at my door! "What are you doing here?!" Please leave.

"May I come in?" he questioned.

"I don't think that would be appropriate," I said, folding my arms.

"Why not?" he asked. "I've come in here before."

I tightened my jaw. Of course, I remembered that whole mess—when he had barged in here and talked to my family on Skype and almost kissed me. "Right," I said. "But it wasn't really appropriate then, either."

"Why not?"

"Because I shouldn't have you, a man, alone in my room," I said. I placed my palm on his broad, firm chest and lightly pushed him away from the door.

"You didn't seem upset before," he said. "Oh, but I guess you have a 'boyfriend' now, right?"

"What's with the air quotation marks?" I demanded. "There's no question about it. Luke is my boyfriend."

"Ah, yeah. 'Luke,'" he jeered.

"Are you drunk?" I suddenly questioned.

"No," he said. "I had something to drink but I'm not drunk."

"You are drunk!" I gaped. I let out an quick, exasperated sigh. "I honestly don't even know what you're doing here. Go to your own room and sober up, alright?"

"I'm not drunk, Little Maid," he said. Little Maid. The title stung me, and I realized he hadn't used that name in a long time. "Just a bit buzzed."

"Either way, you should leave," I said bluntly.

"I just came to congratulate you," he lilted.

I stared at him very hard. "Did you?"

"I did," he said. "I think that you and 'Luke' are very...cute."

I stared at him dubiously. "Really? You think we're cute?"

"I do," he started. "But, you, however, are not cute."

"Excuse me?" I asked, clenching my fists.

Coleman took a step towards me and then another, towering above me, while I stepped back. Soon he was back in the doorframe to my room, less than a foot away from me. "You are fiery and passionate and outspoken and exciting and sexy, Cassandra Carmichael, but not cute."

I felt my face turn red, and my breaths became rather shallow. What was I supposed to say? "You're drunk, Coleman," I finally managed.

"I'm not drunk," he whispered in his husky voice that made my heart beat a bit more quickly. In his defense, while he seemed a bit more loose-lipped than normal, he didn't seem out of it. I was fairly certain he'd remember this entire exchange in the morning, though he'd maybe mentally kick himself in the teeth for it.

"You should really go back to your room," I told him. "People will wonder why you're here if they see you."

"I'm not dumb, you know," he said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Do you want to know what Lucas is?"

I said nothing.

"He's a rebound, Cassandra," he drawled.

"He's not a rebound, Coleman," I said. "I've liked him for a long time."

He smirked. "Can't have been that long."

I clenched my fists. Gosh I hated him. "I've liked him since the day I met him," I hissed. "And you? You were a detour, Prince Coleman. Just a red-herring in my romance life."

"Is that so?" he challenged. "Don't think I didn't recognize your little stunt for what it was."

"My 'stunt'?" I chortled.

"Yes. You were jealous of me and Marstella so you decided to go and kiss Luke just to piss me off."

I laughed cruelly. "You are so full of yourself."

"Oh am I? Because I think I hit the mark."

I took a step forward. "I'll give you this," I said, my voice low. "It was a bit of a stunt, but it wasn't for you."

"Then who?" He asked, moving his face closer to mine.

"Marstella, you idiot," I snarled.

He looked taken aback. "What does she have to do with this? Do you even know her?"

"Gosh, you are so oblivious!" I cried. "When Marstella still worked here, she and Luke used to date."