Chapter 48

"Luke!" I clasped my hands to my face. "You made Thanksgiving for me!" I ran up to him and gave him a huge hug. "I can't believe this! This is so wonderful!" I pulled back enough so I could see Luke's face.

He was beaming. "I remember you said you wished you could be with your family, especially since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here. So, I thought, why don't we celebrate it? And we should call your family later tonight, as well."

"You're the best," I said, leaning up and gifting him a long kiss. "Seriously."

Gosh, I would miss him when I left the castle. I mean, I'd still see him, but not as often. Luke and I feasted on our Thanksgiving meal, which he admitted he had procured from a carryout company, but that didn't mean the food wasn't great.

"So," I said as we were wrapping up our meal. "In my family, we have a tradition of going around and saying what we're thankful for."

Luke smiled. "I like that."

"I can go first," I started. "I'm thankful that you put together Thanksgiving for me. I'm thankful that we're dating and that you put up with me and all my craziness," I chuckled. "And I'm of course grateful that you found a good carryout place."

Luke laughed.

"Your turn," I said.

"Well," he began. "This is my only my second Thanksgiving, but I must say that it has been my favorite. I'm thankful that I get to spend it with you, and I'm grateful that I get to spend everyday with you. I know I'm busy and I often work late, but I'm grateful that I get to see you and your lovely face every day."

My smile was strained.

Crap.

"Aw, thanks," I chuckled nervously. What am I supposed to say? "Funny you mention that, because I'm quitting!"

Luke rose an eyebrow. "Is everything alright?" His eyes widened. "I-I'm sorry, did I say too much? I, uh, I just—"

"No, no! You didn't say anything wrong!" I assured him. "It's just, well, it's just funny you mention all that because, um, you see, I'm actually quitting."

Luke blinked several times. "You're quitting?"

"Yes. I talked to Missus Lucille earlier today and told her to look for a new maid for Coleman while she was hiring a bunch of people. I'll leave in the new year."

"Why are you quitting?" Luke asked. He didn't sound particularly happy nor particularly upset, just surprised and confused.

"I just..." I faltered. "I don't want to be a maid anymore. I only took on this job because I had to. And now, I have friends who can help me find a better job, one that's less, I don't know, stupid? I mean, it's been a good job and it pays well. Obviously I met you, which is great, and this doesn't mean that we're breaking up or anything. I just won't be living here anymore serving Prince Coleman." I was sure to add that last bit in, to add something that would sweeten this ordeal. "You know, your job is different than mine. You help manage the Prince's schedule and you overlook the other servants and you sometimes even work with the queen and you help with the planning of big events, but for me, I just clean. It's not very hard, but I want to be more than just a maid."

Luke sat thoughtfully for a moment before standing up from his side of the table and walking over to me. He then crouched down next to my chair, took my left hand in his hands, and kissed my palm. "I want you to know that I support you in this," he said. "I think it will be for the best. However, I also want you to know that I will sorely miss seeing you all the time."

I slid off my chair and crossed my legs on the floor. "Thanks, babe," I said. "Honestly, that's the only downside to leaving. I won't see you as much."