Chapter 1

It was a cool, crisp morning as I stepped out the door for my first day of eleventh grade. I closed the door and locked it. I made my way to the closest bus stop. I took out my phone, put on my headphones and began to play music. The next twenty minutes consisted of me sitting alone on the bus and walking into school.

My first class was gym. Nothing quite like getting hot and sweaty just as the day started. I walked into the large gymnasium and sat on the bleachers next to one of my friends from last year - Victoria. She was tall for her age and had long dark hair.

"Hey Jake" she beamed. She was cheerful for once.

"Hey Victoria" I say not amused from the change of my wake up time. "How's your day going?"

"Good good" She says turning back towards the teacher as she begins to talk.

"Hello kids. Welcome to eleventh grade gym and health." She began to blabber for the rest of the bell. I wasn't listening. I had someone on my mind. Danielle. We dated in tenth grade, but I broke up with her because my friends thought I was ignoring them for her. She was in this class, writing furiously in her notebook. She catches my staring and cracks a smile.

After the orientation of gym, I walk to Teen Living. I was one of the first kids in there. It was me and another guy I didn't know in the narrow and long room. It had a line of square tables in the middle, with computers lining the walls. The short teacher came in about thirty seconds after I did. "You may sit wherever you'd like Jake." She quietly said putting her hand on my shoulder as she walked behind me. It was Ms. Mitt. I sat towards the back, alone. I preferred to be alone. Just then, one of the kids that I knew from last year walked in, followed by two other kids I knew from last year. Malary, Kayla, and Abby. Malary had a unique hair color- a grayish-blackish hair color from when she went from black hair to a bright Aqua hair, back to black. I loved it, made her stand out from the other girls. Malary was very, very shy and reclusive, but when she became a close friend of yours she was loud and crazy-much like a cat. Then there was Kayla, she had a fire red hair dye, which also made her stand out. But unlike Malary, she was shy and quiet even to her friends. I liked that about her, if she wanted to talk, she would tell you, if not then she didn't. Abby was a very standard girl on the outside-blonde hair, blue eyes, jeans, sneakers and band shirts. But on the inside she was anything but. She could talk to a girl about hair & makeup, then talk to a guy about video games.

"Oh my goshhhhh" Malary squealed "Jake's in hereeee" she ran up and hugged me, struggling to wrap her arms around my six-foot-two stature. "How are you!"

"Good, good. You?" I asked her

"A lot better now that I know you're in here!"

We sat down and I began to talk to Abby and Kayla. We talked about movies, music, places, people, and many other things. Then we sort of broke off-Kayla and Malary began to talk about the two bands they had a common interest in- Black Veil Brides and Bring Me The Horizon. The me and Abby started talking. "So Jake" she said in a mischievous tone.

"Yeah" I say, not looking, laughing at a joke I overheard from another group of kids.

"Danielle" she said, knowing how I would react.

I shut down. Stopped laughing. Stopped thinking. Stopped enjoying. I looked her dead in the eye and said "What did you just say"

"You heard me, Danielle" she said as if she were a little kid that knew someone's biggest secret, and was about to use it against them.

"Alright class have a good first day!" Ms. Mitt said as I rushed out the door towards Geometry. Saved by the bell, I thought. The rest of the day was uneventful, orientation for the first A day. As I got on the bus, I turned on my phone and saw

•1 new message•

I unlocked my phone and went to messages. It was Danielle.

"Hey Jake, just wanted to say hi and say that we should talk soon sometime. Text me when you can." It read. I thought and I thought of what to respond with, to no prevail. I put my headphones in and played "Hot Pursuit" by Tut Tut Child as the bus drove me towards my house. I only had one thing on my mind.

Her.