Chapter 12

My face grew hot, tears streamed down my face. I cried for a few minutes, recomposed myself, and sat down on the front porch steps. Why did she leave with out saying anything? Why now? I had so many questions and so little answers. I needed purpose, I needed a way to go, a refocusing of my life.

I decided to join the Marines.

After boot camp, I was being deployed to Afghanistan in about a week. My parents didn't like it, but couldn't change my mind. I wanted to tell Danielle.

I waited until Friday. I was leaving Sunday afternoon and would be boots on ground Monday morning. My high school cleared my classes and I was good to go.

I knocked on Danielle's door Friday afternoon. After a few moments the door was unlocked and she opened it.

"Oh, Jake, Hey" She sounded surprised. "Come in please"

I walked in the door and say on the couch next to her while the TV played music on one of those twenty four-seven music stations.

"Listen, I joined the military and I'm leaving Sunday" I told her what she needed to know and that was it.

"What?" She stared at me, dumbfounded. "No you can't go, I almost lost you once, I'm not going to lose you again" she said, her eyes beginning to fill with tears. I pulled her in close.

"What are your parents doing this weekend?" I asked running my fingers through her hair slowly.

"They're upstate for the weekend" She could barely speak. "Will you spend the night?" She looked up at me with puppy dog eyes. I couldn't say no.

They sun had set, and we ate. After she dozed off on the couch watching TV, I picked her up, and walked to the master bedroom and lied her down on the bed. As I walked towards the door to sleep on the couch, her voice shattered the silence of the night.

"Jake" she said half asleep "Sleep in here" I walked over and slipped under the blankets and slid right up to her, pulling her in close. She turned, facing me, her head resting on my chest and the pillow. I drifted off into sleep.

I woke up to Danielle screaming and her sitting bolt upright. I sat up and calmed her down.

"Hey hey hey" I said in a soothing voice. "Shh shh. I'm here baby" she cried and wouldn't tell me what she dreamt about.

Saturday came fast. She gave me a letter in a Manila envelope. I went to open it and she grabbed my hand. "Don't" she said looking up, "Not until you are on the plane"

I nodded, and I pulled her in close, squeezing her. I let go and climbed into the cab.

My life as I knew if was over.