He squeezed my hand. "I think true long-distance couples would scoff at us right now."

"It's true. We'll still see each other a lot, hopefully."

"I'll make sure of it," he murmured, leaning forward to bestow a kiss upon me, to which I gratefully received and returned.

The next morning, Luke and I had alternating breakfasts, so he left Prince Coleman to go eat when I arrived with his breakfast platter

"Thank you, Cassie," Coleman said as I placed it on his lap over his covers. I looked at him carefully for a moment, suddenly realizing that there was a limited amount of times left that I would bring him his breakfast. Of course, I'd never planned to stay here as a maid forever. I was only going to live in Aregano for a year, after all. Even when I initially accepted the position, I had planned to continue my job search while I worked and enjoyed free housing.

But now, it was concrete. I was really leaving. I still have a month left, I thought to myself. Plenty of time to get annoyed with Coleman and thus become excited about leaving.

"What is it?" Coleman asked.

"Huh?"

"You're looking at me strangely," he said.

"Oh, sorry," I answered.

"I didn't say I was upset."

I smiled awkwardly. "Right."

"So?"

"So what?"

"What is it?" he repeated.

I guess I ought to tell him, shouldn't I? Before Missus Lucille or Luke mentions it, anyways, seeing as Coleman could get offended if I didn't say something. He was hard to predict.

"Well," I started, and despite the disregard of protocol, I tenderly took a seat at the end of his bed and looked at him. "Yesterday, I had a small meeting with Missus Lucille."

"Did she give you a hard time, then?" Coleman asked.

I smiled wryly. "For once, no." Because I'm leaving and I'm sure she was thrilled. "Actually, I was the one who initiated the meeting."

He rose an eyebrow. "I see. What was the meeting about? Are there people you want to fire?"

Sort of, I thought. Myself. "I, uh, I met with her to tell her that she should look for a new maid for you to take over in the new year."

Coleman's countenance dropped. "Oh."

"It's just, well, it's time, isn't it?" I continued, looking at my lap instead of in his eyes. "I mean, I was never going to be a maid for forever, anyways. I want more than that. And, uh, I'm going to work here for the rest of the year and then hopefully have a job for the new year. I've, uh, I've got some friends helping me find a new job."

"I understand," Coleman said quietly.

I glanced up at him, and he was looking down at his plate.

"I'll still be here for another month," I told him, mustering a smile. "You'll still have all that time to boss me around."

"Yeah," he said simply.

Gosh, I thought. I don't know why I'm suddenly feeling down about this. I never liked being his servant anyways! It was dumb! Life will be simpler without him.

"Isabella's actually a pretty good servant," I said. "When she isn't being the worst. Maybe you can spare her from being fired?"

"Wasn't she one of the ringleaders who harassed you after the Autumn Festival?" Coleman asked, his voice holding a hint of bite.

"Yes," I said. "But that was more than a month ago, now. And maybe with the new François household training or whatever, she'd be better."

"Hmm."

"I mean, this is good news, you know?" I chuckled lamely. "I mean, you won't have to deal with me anymore! We'll hardly ever see each other after December."

Coleman said nothing, but stared at his plate blankly. I stood up and curtseyed. "I'll leave you to your breakfast, your highness."