Around them they could hear cries of pain and pleas of mercy, not being able to help save their fellow Gladers. She felt her eyes widen as Zart was pushed down on the ground by a Griever stinger, lifted up in the air and thrown backwards with a thud. Thomas tried to go to him, but Rosa held him down; knowing that if he tried to save him, which he couldn't, he would meet the same fate as the Glader's around them. Instead, they all ran in the opposite direction of the monster that had just killed their friend.

"Go! Get to the village!" Thomas yelled at them, pushing Rosa in front of him as he always did.

The group ran into the med-jacks who held Alby up by his arms, "Alby! The Grievers, they are here." Rosa panted, removing her machete from its sheath as she watched a Griever murder another innocent Glader. She wanted nothing more than to avenge her friends' deaths, but she knew that it was a deathwish for herself if she tried.

Jeff, who looked absolutely terrified, spoke up for the first time since his arrival; "Thomas, what do we do?" Only to be answered with the screams of a boy beside them as he was dragged away by a Griever with no mercy.

"Everybody run!" Thomas shouted, his hands clasped around Rosa's as they sprinted to the closest building for shelter, the infirmary, with the others behind them. As they nearly arrived, a Griever ran through the building and destroyed it. It got closer and closer to the group, Teresa pulled up one of the lamps from the floor and chucked it at the monster; watching as it exploded and caught alight.

Thomas urged the group to run once more, trecking to the Council Hall where they hoped Winston and Chuck had pulled through with the barricading. Only for the Alby to fall over halfway there and Thomas and Rosa taking the defensive role of guarding him with their life and their weapons held high. A spear flew through the air and lodged in the Griever's side; buying the group enough time to get up and run the remainder of the way to the Council Hall with Frypan and the other cooks now joining them.

Rosa had supported Alby as he limped in the direction of the Council Hall, Chuck screaming at them to hurry up or they would become Griever bait. Rosa and Alby practically fell down the steps in the Hall as Thomas slammed the door shut, using blocks of wood to lock them in and the monsters out. Rosa held Alby's hand in her left and Chuck's in her right as the chittering from the Griever hovered above the building.

"Stay back guys," Newt whispered around him, his eyes locking with Rosa's for a split second as if he wanted to say something but didn't. The room fell silent once again, nothing but the thumping of the monsters above them making noise. Dust from the wooden building fell onto the Gladers below.

Gasping broke out among the group as a Griever stinger burst through the roof and looked around the room for its prey. However, the stinger clasped around the structural beam that held the roof in place; breaking it in two as the room collapsed on the Gladers with a fit of screams and coughing as the dust and ashes filled their lungs. Rosa could no longer feel Alby or Chuck's hands in her own.

The team worked together to pull a fellow Glader from below the broken roof as he screamed for help, just to watch as he was pulled away from their grasp and towards the danger of the Grievers. "Get away from there!" Thomas screamed at a few Gladers, including Chuck, as one of the Grievers stalked around the outside of the hut to look for its next victim, but Rosa didn't expect it to be Chuck. Her own brother.

She was forced to watch as it's claw crashed through the wall of the building and stopped directly ahead of the youngest Glader, he turned around to run away but it was too late. The claws tightened around his body and lifted him in the air as everyone hurried to pull him down. But no one was faster than Rosa, she screamed as she gripped Chuck's arm in her hands as tightly as she could and tried to pull him out of the monster's grasp. She was soon joined by Thomas, Minho, Teresa and Newt.

"Don't you dare shucking let go!" Rosa yelled at him, adrenaline pumping through her veins as she continued to attempt to yank him away from death.

Chuck could only reply with "No shit!" before he went back to screaming in fear.

Rosa could see the stinger retract from its place on the claw, preparing to sting Chuck. She called out for help, hoping that someone would hear her cries and save him. And they did, just as the stinger was inches away from Chuck's neck she heard Alby yell, running at the Griever and hitting the claw as hard as he could with some metal off the ground; the force knocked the stinger away from the group but sadly Chuck was still in the claw's grasp.

Alby continued to hit the claw over and over until Chuck was free from it, sending him falling onto the group below them. Rosa was the first one up, "Chuck, are you okay?" she had pulled Thomas and Chuck up soon after and turned to face Alby, tears in her eyes. Tears of happiness.

"Thanks, Alby," Chuck gleamed to his leader.

Rosa smiled, she got closer to him to give him a hug as a thank you. "Rosa, Alby!" Thomas screamed, "Watch out!"

Alby turned, the familiar chittering of the Grievers rang out as he pushed Rosa away from him only for the metal claw to hit her over the back as it attacked Alby. She made harsh contact with the ground that caused to wince as the ringing arose in her head. Rosa couldn't move, she could only sob as Alby was pulled into the air, gripping onto the remains of the roof for safety as Thomas tried to help save him.

"Thomas, get them out," he insisted as he was suspended in the air, Alby screamed for Rosa to save him as the Griever hauled him away from them forever. Never to be seen again. Thomas wailed for Alby as his face was overcome with shock, he ran out of the building despite all the complaints for him to stay.

The Gladers left the Council Hall, or what was left of it, to stick at Thomas' side incase he was greeted by one of the creatures of the night. But they had left, taking their last victims with them into the Maze and leaving fire and chaos behind.

Rosa groaned in pain, pushing herself off the floor in the Hall just in time to see and hear Gally punch Thomas across the face and sending him to the floor, "This was all you, Thomas! He's one of them, Rosa too! She always had been! He's one of them, and they sent him here to destroy everything, and now he has," he called out, being pulled back by Frypan and Jeff, "Look around! Look around, Thomas. This is your fault!"

Thomas watched as Gally argued back and forth with Frypan about the blame of tonight's chaos and destruction, he looked down to Chuck's hands to see the stinger that he had stolen from the Griever that killed Alby. He snatched it from him, "Maybe he's right," he whimpered, "I need to remember, Rosa."

She went to grab him before he could stab himself with the Griever venom, but she was too late. He screamed in agony as the poison entered his system and started to infect his organs; he fell to the ground in a fit, his body shaking with overload.

Rosa went down with him, holding his head in her lap as she tried to wake him up. "Do something!" she cried, she couldn't lose Thomas; not when she had just watched Alby get murdered right in front of her and half of the Glade.

But it all went black.

Not just for Thomas, but for Rosa too.  An echo of soft beeping and ringing erupted in her head, in an unnatural way. The adrenaline left her system and the severity of her injury from being hit by the Griever had finally set in, a gasp of pain left her lips before she fell into Newt's waiting arms. He seemed to be the only one that had seen her tense up and sob with agony, and he caught her.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

I nearly cried watching Alby's death scene and Chuck being in pain, but it isn't even the end of part one and we all know what is about to happen soon :(