Halting in front of the throne, I bowed.

This is not very befitting of me during such an emotional moment but, I am wondering whether my tactless butler (Silen) is bowing together with me or not. I feel like he is not paying the essential obeisance to the Royalties.

Oh, well. Whatever. It's not like I do.

"Greetings, King Harlott and Queen Dayne" I greeted the King and the Queen before looking straight at them.

"I'll make sure to deal with the formalities later on in the earliest of the morning before the dawn even breaks, so don't worry that I'll work on the documents of the engagement annulment without arguments." In one breath, I said in monotone.

"That is all then, I shall take my leave." I slightly bowed, before turning my way towards the exit.

Harlott Alvin La Daphtham.

It's the least respect I can give you as an individual. I admit you're the King, but I won't acknowledge you as my King.

I can accept you, a king, as one of the citizens. I can aid you, a king, as the Prime Minister. But I won't pledge my life to you, a king, as a knight. I can't.

A king have knights who serve to protect the kingdom, and swore loyalty to the ruler. With their shields and their swords, they are ones who protect those who need to be protected. Willingness sprout within oneself, if they sincerely wished to serve someone.

Sometimes, a knight will sacrifice themselves to save their ruler. That's just how devoted they are to their ruler. As for me, I'm not willing to exchange my life for yours if such crucial moment ever arises.

The Court Mage is a different story though. He's the polar opposite of me.

"W-Wait! Dilion!" I'm sure he didn't think much before calling out my name. He was probably startled by the sudden developments.

"Yes?" I answered him.

Perhaps he was not expecting me to answer, that simple 'yes' had made him dumbstruck.

"N-No... Nothing..." He was rendered speechless, I confirmed it.

"I shall--"

"Duke Volmilarg." The Queen revoked my sentence.

Well, well. Isn't that very daring of you?

The Queen, Dayne Cathya Emerithe, is who you'd call the textbook example of a queen. She is good in socializing, have good reputation and good at handling her works as a queen. She was also considered one of the reasons as of why the current King got enthroned instead of his elder brother, who didn't have a fiance.

"Please, at least let our maid fetch the little lady." The Queen beseeched. "I'm sure she is waiting for you somewhere in the castle." She paused before continuing. "Consider this our last contribution to Lady Maridis before the cancellation."

...I'm sincerely shocked. Excuse me, don't you mean 'the first contribution you've ever done'? Have you ever given anything beneficial to Maridis before?

Or maybe, 'no contribution at all'. Just your maid picking up my daughter is considered contribution? The Royalties' ego, sure is high.

Comparing to King Harlott, she is much more of a rational person and can be titled as a good queen. I used to acknowledged her as one of the brightest Queen candidates but now that she's actually became the Queen, I felt complicated.

The reason? I don't know. Maybe because I feel like she just disdained my daughter without batting an eye?

I snickered. "Very well."