fourteen

Yang Jeongin woke up in a completely unfamiliar environment. Cold, dark and gloomy, he tried to move but felt a burning ache seeping through his skin, each movement he made a punishment upon him.

He had no idea where he was or who had taken him, the last thing he could recall was him deactivating his accounts because of how much hate he had been receiving online.

He tried to reach for his phone which he could feel in his pocket but to no avail - he was completely paralysed in his place.

For a while, he tried to break free, tried to escape the ropes that so tightly bound him in place but then he stopped squirming, stopped trying, a question he never wanted to ask entering his brain and infiltrating into his heart - 'would anyone even care if I disappear?'

That one question held the weight of the world and became his cross to bear having had lived most of his life in the shadow of his two brothers despite being the middle child.

Overlooked and overshadowed, he tried his best to stand out, to tell the world that he, Yang Jeongin, was a force to be reckoned with. He built valuable relationships with his friends and even some of his accounts' fans and yet, he had no one to run to in this time.

No one was coming to save him.

He felt his limbs grow weaker, almost jelly like as the harsh comments broke free from the cage he kept them in, each comment a stab straight at his heart.

He had put in so much effort to be liked and there he was, being hated upon by people he didn't even know, all his efforts having been flushed down the drain.

He stopped trying to break free, an overwhelming negativity taking over his thoughts completely.

He was numb, nothing seemingly able to move and work properly. He was simply sitting there waiting, although for what he wasn't so sure about.

All he knew was that, he would stop trying. If in the end of the day, all his efforts would simply go to waste, then why bother anymore?

He would stop trying because what use was it to try if no one was there to catch you when you fell?

Tears rolled down his cheeks, each drop a bullet against his skin - heavy, impactful and hurtful. He didn't know why he was so weak but he simply accounted it to him not being enough.

He was never enough.

And he'd been told so in so many occasions. By his family, his old friends and now, the random strangers telling him that he could and would never deserve even being friends with Hyunjin.

He was never enough.

A thought that had been drilled into his brain like a mantra which caused his self esteem to greatly diminish, like a small flame being snuffed out.

The tears fell and he felt himself shaking but since he was tied down, he could feel the rope pushing against him as his body instinctively shook as he cried silently and wondered why no one has come for him.

He didn't know how long he had been crying for but the door to wherever he was opened slightly, the little bit of sunshine entering giving Jeongin the smallest bit of warmth which he greatly appreciated.

In came a group of girls who Jeongin remembered from the mall. He had no idea how they knew him but they had asked him when he left the restroom "Are you Innie?". Their voices then were so sickly sweet that it made Jeongins' stomach hurt.

Jisung had warned him about demon fans having the ability to find out almost anything about their idol but he never thought that they'd find out how he looked and more importantly, where he was.

They wore masks over their faces but it wasn't enough to hide their malice and cruel intentions, their eyes gleaming with a sick kind of joy when they saw how defeated he looked.

"So Innie tell us, why'd you take Hyunjin from us?"

.
.
.

"He can't just have disappeared!" Jisung screamed, slamming his fists on the counter. The police officer gave me a placid look before returning his eyes to his screen.

"Look sir, we are trying our best here-"

"Try harder," Jisung spat out, Woojin having to hold his hand so as to prevent him from climbing over the counter and tossing the computer at the police officer.

Twenty four hours had passed since they had last seen Jeongin. Twenty four hours passed without any sign or signal from the youngest and in that twenty four hours, Jeongin could've been hurt.

But there they were - completely and utterly helpless as they waited for any, any, good news.

Because god knows they needed to find a silver lining amongst the sudden darkness that engulfed them.

.
.
.

"I-I didn't take any...anything from you," Jeongin said, his voice weak, small and scared. One of the girls stepped forward, pushing her circular glasses up and meeting his eyes.

"I think you know what you did don't you?" She asked, placing a soft, gentle yet awfully cold hand on his cheek. "But you yourself know that you aren't good enough for him right?"

A hand smacked his face, the sound echoing around the room.

He didn't fight back.

So she continued, seemingly being the ringleader in their torture circle. "You know that don't you?" She paused, her hand now on his head. "So you know what you did wrong don't you, you little bitch." She grabbed a chunk of his hair and pulled him closer to her, his ear by her mouth so he could hear every syllable, every venomous word that left her foul mouth.

"You aren't good enough for Hyunjin and you never, ever will be." She paused, giving him another tight slap across his face before pulling on his hair again. "So, either you get rid of yourself right now or we'll get rid of you."

He felt as though all the air had been knocked out of his lungs as the chair was pushed back and he soon found himself on the floor.

He wanted to scream for help but no sound came out, his words stuck in the back of his throat.

A foot pressed against his chest, the sickening feeling of suffocation intensifying as he found himself instinctively gasping for air as they kicked him and bruised him further while he remained powerless, not having enough energy and the willpower to fight back.

Just as they were about to hurt him further, he heard sirens outside and watched as they hurriedly tried to escape, leaving him writhing in pain on the floor, ropes still tied tightly around him.

"Jeongin!"

He heard a voice call out to him but before he could see who it was, his world was plunged into complete and absolute darkness.