People Worth Fighting For

A/N: See first segment for disclaimer. I really don't own anyone in this story, at least not until later on ;) Enjoy your reading! And Happy Thanksgiving! I apologize for the spaces in the formatting - it doesn't look that way on my draft, but for some reason it comes out funny on the published work. Updated: 3/21/17. 

People Worth Fighting For

Suddenly, the speeder in front of her came to a screeching halt.

Ahsoka opened her eyes, knowing that her last moments wouldn't be claimed in a hit-and-run speeder episode. 

"Ahsoka?" The voice knew her name, and seemed very surprised to see her. 

It was Barriss Offee, former member of the Jedi Order and an absolute traitor. Except, she did know another traitor and he turned out to be worse, much worse. And she was still trying to save him. 

Frowning, Ahsoka tried to remember that she was still angry at Barriss. If not for her, the Jedi Order fiasco never would have happened...and then again, that fiasco was what Ahsoka had needed to open her eyes about the dealignment of the Jedi Order. 

"Barriss? Is that you?" Ahsoka's voice became tantalized. "What are you doing here?" Her voice grew hostile, remembering the betrayal she'd experienced at Barriss's hands. "How did you escape? You're supposed to be locked up for eternity or something!" 

Barriss's careful voice sought to soothe. "Ahsoka, I'm sorry about before. Don't you need help? I sense your anger and sadness."

Ahsoka gave her a withering look - dependable Barriss had always come prepared, and now wasn't any different. She was trying to over come Ahsoka's deep set disgust of her with friendliness. "Yes, I've recently had the second betrayal I have experienced. And both of them were done by my two best friends." She commented, trying to keep her voice light. 

Barriss looked down. "I was your best friend?"

"Was, Bariss. Was."

"But I can help you." Barriss reassured her, hands flailing as she tried to explain herself. "I'm not as dark as they all thought. I just wanted to warn everyone that we were changing. I don't know why I went to such an extreme. It's just that when I get an idea into my head, I tend to do anything to make it possible." Barriss was pleading now.

"Even framing your friend?" Ahsoka shot back angrily. 

They looked odd sitting there, on their speeders, having a vivid, angry conversation. Old friends are hard to forget.

Barriss threw her hands in the air. Ahsoka wouldn't listen to her plea for the rekindling of their former friendship. Of course, she knew about Ahsoka's hotheaded nature and her determination. Yet she could sense the Togruta's conflict over her reappearance, and realized there was hope for friendship once again.

"I'm sorry, Ahsoka! What more can I say?" Barriss continued, her voice wistful and pleading. 

"You didn't have to do it all in the first place!" Ahsoka returned, eyes flashing like they always did when her Master made her perform a duty that she didn't like. She was feeling less angry than before, realizing that if she could forgive her Master for the impossible, she could forgive Barriss for the slightly less impossible. 

"I can help you," Barriss hissed, trying to lower her voice for propriety's sake. "You're on your way to the Senate building aren't you? You can't take on two Sith alone, let alone one Sith. Ahsoka, you need my help." On Geonosis, where their friendship had blossomed, it had been Barriss who needed Ahsoka, and now she was trying to return the favor.