These Masks We Wear

I'm baaaaack!! And so are Ahsoka and Anakin! As always, these two and the rest of the Star Wars characters are not mine. They belong to Disney...now. Thank you for every positive message in the last chapter. I love you all! Without further ado....

These Masks We Wear

There are some who are born to glory. There are some who find it. And some who stumble upon it by accident.

The latter was the Fate of Ahsoka Tano. She hadn't been born as the Chosen One's Padawan; she'd been fourteen when it happened. She hadn't been looking for greatness. Not exactly. She remembered the days when it was "Padawan, not Youngling," to everyone who looked down at her.

Now she was in a state of contentment. She was contented to no longer even be in the Order, when she'd left it those years ago. Growing up had taught her to look at life with positivity, no matter what was thrown at her.

Even incidents like the one she was in now.

They'd both sensed the dark presence when they were making to leave aboard the rusted, sun-beaten transport. Christophsis wasn't a wretched sand planet. It was more of a calm, cool place, turquoise like the watery waves on Naboo.

Ahsoka's eyes flashed toward Anakin. He was after them. They had realized they should have both known. It was inevitable. Palpatine was coming. They had to be on their guards.

As soon as the door flew open through the Force- the second time recently- they had everything planned, every detail mastered. Or so they thought.

"Vader? Why did you not return to me once you found the female creature?" Sidious's methodical, diabolical voice echoed through the holding room.

Anakin winced, knowing that Ahsoka would resent being called a "female creature". She did. She had no patience for a man who did not respect her for the independent spirited being she was.

"My Master, I was just about to return to your illustriousness, when I was stopped by this clone."

Anakin shoved a willing Rex forward. He always walked blindly into their punishments- Anakin's and Ahsoka's atonements would be his. He was the saver of his General and Commander, as he had always been.

Sidious eyed Rex for a subtle moment. The heroic trio waited with bated breath.

But Palpatine shifted his eyes away, "Why bother with a mere clone? Bring her to me, Vader."

All three opened their eyes with horror; Rex's eyes were unseen because of his bucket, Anakin's eyes were glowing yellow, and Ahsoka's were hidden around the corner. Just as suddenly as all of them widened their eyes, they returned them to their original size with fineness.           

Anakin was forced into bringing his love, as he found himself calling her, to his Master.

"Ahsoka." Anakin whispered, his head bent low with no small measure of remorse. "I'm sorry."

She lifted his chin gently. "We will make it out somehow, Ani."

At that nickname, Anakin's eyes flashed with surprise, confusion, and remorse. Ahsoka suddenly realized her mistake. "I...I didn't mean..."