TWO

SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT

Felicity Lockwood was a natural born leader

Felicity Lockwood was a natural born leader. Everyone in the town knew it, even their few visitors could sense it as soon as they met her. It was clear to anyone that Felicity would be taking over her father's job as mayor of the town of Mystic Falls when he needed to step down. It's just how things were.

At the age of 5, Felicity found out her father was a werewolf by following him to the caves one night and watching him in awe as he transformed painfully and slowly into his cursed form.

At the age of 6, when her mother was drunk one night, Carol Lockwood told Felicity that she wasn't actually her daughter, but a bastard child to the Lockwood name. Richard had cheated on Carol with another woman, and that woman later left Felicity on their doorstep with a note saying her own husband would never allow a child that was not his in their home. She never left her name on the note, and Richard refused to tell Carol, so she couldn't give Felicity the 'satisfaction' of knowing who her birth mother was.

At the age of 8, Richard had burst into Felicity's bedroom when Felicity had been screaming from a nightmare. When he was successful in waking her up, the little girl had gripped onto Richard's arms and started siphoning from his werewolf, taking magic from him with an orange glow surrounding her hands. Richard did not know what she was doing, at the time, but the next day he had called the number he wasn't supposed to call anymore, and found out what his daughter was. "An abomination," she had called her own blood. But he would not call Felicity that. He would not allow his little girl to think there was anything wrong with her. He started taking Felicity to see Sheila Bennett once a week, so the witch could train the Lockwood child and help her control her siphoning abilities.

When 17 year old Felicity and her girlfriend were driving back to the Lockwood mansion one night in the pouring rain, Felicity didn't see a dog in the road until it was too late, causing her to swerve the car to the side and crash into a tree. The passenger side got the most of the impact, killing her girlfriend and triggering Felicity's werewolf curse. Felicity then became the world's first hybrid that night - part 'witch', part werewolf. She was then able to (barely) siphon magic from herself. But it took too much energy out of her, so she would only do it when absolutely necessary, in emergencies.

When vampires came back to Mystic Falls, Felicity didn't think anything of it, though she made sure to stay away from vampire blood. "If you become a vampire, you'll loose your magic," Sheila warned her. "But no werewolf can be turned to a vampire, either. You'll die. You need to be careful. Never drink vampire blood." And until last night, she hadn't. She had always listened to Sheila's advise, even after her death. Sheila had become the mother Felicity never had, caring for her better in the once a week visits than Carol had ever in her entire life. Though no one but the Lockwoods (minus Tyler) and Sheila had known about the affair Richard had that created Felicity, Carol had always treated Felicity poorly, and it was obvious she favored Tyler.