Chapter 1

© 2019 by Sara Leanne Adams

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or used in any manner without the written permission of the author.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

WARNING

This book contains graphic sexual content which is not suitable for persons under the age of 18.

This is a three chapter excerpt of Book 2 in The Unbroken Series. It can be read as a stand-alone novel, but would be best enjoyed if you read Gelasia Unbroken first. 

The remainder of the book can be found on Inkitt.

Pacing back and forth in front of the floor to ceiling windows in my living room, I watched the people hustling by on the busy street ten stories below. My eyes were trained on the main entrance of Mercy Hospital, located directly across the street from our building. 

My husband wanted to live close to the hospital. Greg worked long hours as an emergency room physician. I was willing to do anything to make his life easier. Eventually we planned to move to the suburbs, when we outgrew the two- bedroom condo. That didn't happen as fast as I had hoped.

I wanted to have babies and be a stay-at-home mom. College didn't interest me. I met Greg one weekend at a Harvard frat party while visiting my friend Lacey. Our eyes met across the room, and the rest was history. 

Greg was completing his residency in his hometown of Portland, Maine. Since I was still living at home in Marlo, Maine, it worked out perfectly. It was only a forty-five minute drive to Portland. We dated for six months before we got engaged. Last January, we were married in a beautiful wedding in my hometown.

I hoped to get pregnant on my wedding night. I went off the pill well in advance and planned everything out, even managing to get married on my most fertile day of the month. 

Somebody got pregnant while I was on my honeymoon. But it wasn't me. One of my best friends, Lacey Jones, ended up snowed in with her new man at some sex themed inn, on their way back to Boston after attending my wedding. She slept with him and got knocked up. 

I was jealous and angry for a long time after I heard the news. And every month that went by without a pregnancy for me, just added fuel to the fire. 

I didn't speak to her for several months, until she was kidnapped by her crazy ex-boyfriend. She was missing for several hours, and no one knew if she was alive or dead. 

I watched the television news in horror, riddled with guilt that I'd spent so much time resenting her for something that wasn't her fault. She made it out alive, and I summed up the courage to attend a party in her honour. It wasn't easy to see her pregnant, with everyone making a big fuss over her. But deep down beneath my anger, I was happy for my friend. And when her boyfriend proposed that night, I cried tears of joy.

In the month since Lacey's party, I'd stopped wallowing and feeling sorry for myself. Not completely, but I was making progress. I contacted a fertility clinic and started taking the necessary steps toward achieving my dream of being a mom. Learning to accept the reality that the babies weren't going to come easily was a big step for me. Greg was really supportive, agreeing to do whatever we had to do to get our family started.