Chapter 10

Is this real? Sugawara asked himself. It couldn't be real. He was sitting next to Daichi. In Kiyoko's cottage. Alone in a room.

Maybe he was dreaming. Maybe he hadn't even introduced Daichi to his friends. Maybe he was still sleeping.

Sugawara punched his hand slightly, flinching slightly at the slight pain. Nope, wasn't dreaming. The two boys were sitting on two sides of the couch awkwardly. Sure, they talked to each other a lot, but with another person just in the other room made both nervous.

"So... how was your day?" Daichi said suddenly. Sugawara laughed softly at him trying to start a conversation. Daichi joined in and laughed along with him.

Sugawara felt his heart swell with fondness from hearing this man's laugh. "It was great, how about you?"

"It was fine, I got to meet your friends," Daichi responded. Sugawara rolled his eyes.

"Is that the only thing that went well today?" he asked. Daichi chuckled a bit a nodded. "Let me guess, your dad is pressuring you again?"

"Right on it."

If he could tell him, Sugawara would tell him that his father was an ass, but Daichi would become upset with him. He wanted to so bad. Though, all he could do at the moment is to tell the other to stand up for himself.

"Trust me, I'm trying to make him understand I don't want to be a hunter," Daichi sighed, smiling at the silver haired boy. Sugawara's cheeks turned pink and he looked down at his hands.

Did he read his mind? He couldn't have! That's impossible. Sugawara bit his lip and stared at the coffee table intensely, trying not to let his eyes wander to the handsome man that sat next to him.

"I got you guys food," Kiyoko said. Sugawara looked at her gratefully. She was his savior in this situation.

The two boys followed her to the dining area and sat down, thanking her for the food before digging in. Sugawara noticed Daichi seemed to be surprised at the taste.

"You okay?" he asked, slightly amused by the shock. Daichi looked at him and nodded. "Then why do you seem so surprised?"

"I thought nothing could surpass my mother's cooking," he whispered. Sugawara laughed and covered his mouth to muffle it. Kiyoko giggles softly. "What, it's true."

"You should taste Asahi-san's cooking, it's definitely better than mine," Kiyoko stated. Sugawara nodded before joining in.

"And his grandmother's is even better than his, trust me, I've tried it myself," he pointed out. Kiyoko nodded with agreement, laughing softly.

The three of them finished a little bit later. Kiyoko excuses herself to the room where she usually creates her potions, leaving Sugawara and Daichi alone again. He had taken the plates to go wash them.

"You and Kiyoko seem like really good friends," Sugawara heard behind him, making him almost drop the plate in his hands. He smiled when he realized it was just Daichi.

"Yeah, we've been friends for a long time, I think we met through our parents," he answered. Daichi nodded and leaned on the counter. Sugawara suddenly realized what he meant, his face flushing a bright red from embarrassment. "It's nothing like that! We're really just friends, I swear! Oh god, now it's awkward..."

He put his face into his hand, not even minding them being wet at all. He was a huge mess. Daichi's laugh was heard and Sugawara lifted his head again.

"You don't have to freak out, it's okay," he said, trying to stop his laughter. Daichi took a deep breath and gave Sugawara a smile, the type of smile that makes Sugawara love him even more than before, if that's even possible. "Oh, you have some soap on your face."